Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Change of Plans


Science class (biology). The teacher coached tennis sixth period.

The lesson plan had me going out to the tennis courts sixth period to "supervise".

I dislike covering sports, but from time to time I must.

First, I have to find the class. The teacher usually gives me a vague idea of where to go, but these areas can be fairly large, so locating where the class usually meets can take a bit. (It's nicer when we can just meet in the teacher's classroom, but that's not always feasible.)

Then, somehow, I must take roll. After that, ideally, they practice. The cross country team would go out for their run. Other teams may do something, but the last time I covered tennis (a while ago--not this school year), they pretty much goofed off for the hour.

So, I was not looking forward to sixth period. Not at all.

I got through the day. (Biology is a freshman course, so I had those usual issues.) Then it was lunch. I had a half hour to linger in the classroom and anticipate the tennis team.

I packed up. I logged into the attendance software on my phone. The bell rang for the end of lunch. Just as I was ready to get up and head out to the courts, the door to the room opened. It was the teacher.

It took me a couple minutes to process "you can go". Sometimes when teachers are on campus, they'll stop in to check on things, and then they'll go on their way. So, my brain stuttered over the teacher saying he'd come back early enough to teach his sixth period class.

Once I caught up, I was quite content. Not only did I not have to cover the tennis team, I got to go home early. Score!

(Early in my subbing career, I felt like I'd have to stick around as I was supposed to be there. But lately, I'm good with leaving early and letting the office know the teacher has returned. They know I'd never leave a class unattended.)

24 comments:

  1. As long as we have freedom to choose, it is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disliked sports in high school pretty much the same way you disliked covering them. I remember for role in PE because there were so many of us in the class we had numbers we had to stand on and she took attendance that way, just going down the rows and seeing who was there and who wasn't.

    Glad you got a win-win situation that day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been subbing a while. I'm sure you've built up a rapport with the school. Glad you got to leave work early! Did you do anything fun with your extra time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grocery shopping, if memory serves. Turns out I had to lay in supplies for a cold I did not see coming :-(

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry… :( Are you feeling better now?

      Delete
  4. Sounds like it all worked out for you. I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Win/win!! No sports and heading home early. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What luck! If only getting out of tennis was always that easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I hate sports, I'm glad you missed this 6th period. Glad it turned out to be an early day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of coaches, so it's surprising I didn't have more to cover this year.

      Delete
  8. I can understand...not the biggest fan of sports! I however was on the volleyball team in ...crap, was it nineth grade? Yep, think that is right. I am not even a big fan to watch a sport, UNLESS there is someone I know in that said sport. When my daughter cheered for a local football team I was right there yelling with the players moms. When my son played football I was there yelling for him. When my nephew raced the circuit I was not always at each race since they were all over the U.S....but I watched him on TV. Walked the floor and cheered him on. TENNIS....not a fan of PERIOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother played tennis, so I should be more into it. I'm not.

      Delete
  9. I guess I got lucky. In all my time subbing, I never got stuck with a PE or sports class. I have always had a disdain for sports and don't know how I would have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's likely by design. I don't get called for PE, but there are subs that prefer it. It's easy enough to avoid if you choose to.

      Delete
  10. Canceled plans are my favorite kind of plans.
    I can feel the weight lifting off your shoulders!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish I could have gotten out of gym class the way you got out of tennis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well, we all had to take it back in the day.

      Delete
  12. How lucky. I would have felt the same way.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.