Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Read What You Like


Monday. Lunch time...

The previous period the assignment was SSR or silent sustained reading. It was ninth grade English (many of the English teachers on campus have their students read on Mondays). Because sub, Ms. B had them write up a log of what they read. I gave them fifteen minutes (as per instructions) to complete it, but a couple of them needed more time. I didn't have the heart to kick them out.

As those kiddos finished up, a student from the next period walked in. While I normally don't have students in the classroom during lunch, I figured I might as well let him stay.

William asked what the assignment was going to be. I told him. He was disappointed; he had finished his book over the weekend. As it was lunch, I told him he could go and check something else out of the library. He said they didn't currently have the sequel, so he'd wait.

What he was reading came up. The Selection by Kiera Cass. I can't remember who, but one of you fine bloggers reviewed this book on your blog, so I had a vague idea what it's about.

When I mentioned being familiar with the title, William explained how it was a little embarrassing to admit he reads this type of novel (read: girly romance), but it's what he likes...

Frankly, that had not even occurred to me. I was just happy I had some familiarity with the title.

I never book shame.

I like sci fi and fantasy, but I also like romance. There is a stigma to reading romance, however. A lot of readers turn their nose up or sneer at romance. Which is silly, especially considering how it is probably one of the most successful genres. Most romance readers inhale books, and one can make a lot of money writing it.

I wonder how much of that snootiness is misogyny. It's a genre primarily aimed at women, and unlike most literary types of writing, the novels end with a happily ever after. I've read some excellently written stories, and I've learned loads about writing the feels better.

Anyway, girls are actively discouraged from liking these books. So, of course boys shouldn't even consider them.

And William was telling me how when he presents (the students have projects to go with the books they choose) he'd rather be working with a book he enjoys even if others question his reading material.

I went into a bit about how disliking romance is misogynistic, but mostly I said that he should read what he likes. It's hard enough to get students reading. Many won't pick up a book again after they graduate high school. I will not shame someone for finding books they enjoy.

Do you read romance novels? Do you read a genre you're embarrassed to admit you like? I promise, I will not novel shame you. I probably read "worse" novels than you do.

18 comments:

  1. I hope he keeps reading, and enjoying whatever genre appeals. ~nods~ My current (re)read is Stephen King's "It". The recent movie doesn't interest me. And while that old teleplay was enjoyable, nothing compares to the book. And my experience is especially tangible because I have the same (now tattered) paperback purchased in 1986 or '87. :) Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, no matter what kind of book he read (well, a book ok for a school of course), it can be an album or a tale, he read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for him for reading what he wants. I'm not a fan of romance, though. I don't have a romantic bone in my body. Something you've probably figured out during your beta reading for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read romance, although these days more romantic suspense (although I mostly read mysteries). But romance is badly maligned. I think there are a few reasons it is put down - partly because people think it isn't a "quality" book. But as you say, it is the biggest selling genre. I've never understood why people bag romance - I mean, everyone has romantic relationships of some sort at some time in their life so it is the most relatable genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right romance novels are generally considered not of 'high quality'. Secondly they tend to be quite popular. And generally something that's popular is perceived as run of the mill.

      Delete
  5. I read a lot of different types of books. My favorite genres are science fiction, fantasy, and mystery, but I also enjoy romance novels. The young man should read what interests him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care what students read so long as it's something they enjoy. Because the surest way to ignite passion in a reader is for them to read stuff they love. I'm good with comic books and that Japanese flipped backwards graphic novel thing (I'm getting the word wrong, so I'm not going to attempt it).

      Delete
  6. I hope William keeps on moving around different genres.

    Years ago I read romantic books, but knowing the formula killed them for me. Oh well. Sci-Fi and mystery are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ambivalent on formulas. They can get tedious, but a true master can subvert the formula and make a stale pattern fresh.

      Delete
  7. Good for him for reading! I agree with you; no need to shame them, just encourage them to keep on reading!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW....such loaded questions! haha. I read romance books as a teen and into my late 20s. They were not the hard core romance they were Harlequin Romance. The sweet perfect love books,then I started reading more detailed romance books. Now I love a good murder mystery or some about vampires and witches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so over vampires, but that's just me. Not enough books about witches, if you ask me.

      Delete
  9. I do like romance, mainly because of the feel good factor the stories have.

    There is a popular Netflix series here called 'Little Things', which I very much like. It's about the life of a 20-something boy and girl and the little things in their romantic lives. But some of my friends give me that 'how come you like such stuff' sort of look and comments. Well, I have just ignored those comments. But it's true that one could be put on the defensive.

    I don't think one should ever be judged like that, because books, movies, food etc are all very personal choices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz - sounds like he picked an interesting book ... with a different perspective on life - and he's obviously a thoughtful insightful kid - kudos to him. I used to read romance decades ago - but no more ... perhaps a very occasional article out of a magazine at the doctors or dentists ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for William! He likes what he likes. :)

    I like fantasy and sci-fi as well as the so-called 'Chick-Lit' genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chick-Lit had some good titles. I hope it makes a return.

      Delete
  12. I like a good romance story now and then, especially if the protagonists in love are older.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.