Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Feigned Ignorance?


There haven't been a lot of planned absences lately (trainings, conferences, meetings, etc.), so I've been getting gigs last minute (the dreaded early morning wake up call). For the most part, these teachers are falling ill, so lesson plans are kind of sparse and/or makeshift.

Tuesday. Woodshop.

I've covered for this teacher before. Because they don't use power tools in his absence (safety issue), the kiddos are stuck doing bookwork. But because of technology, the the teacher was able to assign a new chapter from home. (It was his second day out. A different sub had covered the prior day.)

Third period was construction tech. They were working on an "estimation packet".

They got the packet out, but then claimed they didn't have enough information to do any work. Deep sigh.

I found blueprints. They claimed they'd already used them. So, I reread the lesson plan, and the words Google Classroom stuck out. None of them had gotten the computers out. I encouraged them to do so.

Sure enough, there were more specific instructions online. There were links to videos demonstrating what they were to do.

And yet, they still claimed ignorance.

Now, they could have been telling the truth. Something might have been missing. They might have needed more information to complete this assignment.

But I rather doubt this. It seemed to me they were taking advantage of a sub day to goof off--a long standing tradition.

Deep sigh. This is why I write detailed notes to the teacher. Teachers rarely appreciate the kiddos sudden ignorance.

27 comments:

  1. Yup. Kids will do that to subs, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Then I tell the teacher, and the next time they see me they suddenly know how to work.

      Delete
  2. Amnesia when a sub arrives! Classic. Sounds like you managed it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When they all get an F on that assignment, they will feel differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, that's a tough one. It sounds like my son and his claims of "I forgot!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess the sub situation hasn't changed in 20 years (my peers would do that too ... okay, okay, I was part of it too, but at least I learned my lesson in the end). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, by the time they learn their lesson, they've graduated. And I get to start all over with their younger siblings...

      Delete
  6. Anything to avoid doing the work!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to wake up early every day. So it's not a surprise or a dreaded feeling in my gut. LOL. I kind of like the adreline (and the coffee) coursing through me at 6am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you don't know if you'll get called or not, it's a surprise. I mean, I get called more often than not, but this is a more recent occurrence.

      Delete
  8. Of course they were trying to take advantage of the sub day to goof off. It's the unwritten rule.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recall this happening when we had a sub but we paid for it afterwards. They will find out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. This is why I write detailed notes. So it will come back and bite them later.

      Delete
  10. Truth will out. What you know won't hurt you. What you feign don't know will mess up your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure they had enough they just wanted to take advantage of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never understood this. Classroom time always went faster with something to do. ~shrugs~ People are strange, and kids stranger still. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? But they'd rather complain of boredom than attempt to do something.

      Delete
  13. Kids....kids...kids....they really think they have invented this behavior! I like Darla's comment about kids being stranger!! Love it. County schools around here are having to close for weeks at a time due to the flu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I don't know what our schools would do if they had to close for any reason. Would they extend the calendar? That would be weird.

      Delete
  14. Liz,

    Kids will be kids!

    Schools in our area were closed last week due to illness. I'm so thankful I don't have to be out in it all and when I do I turn and run when a sickly person is nearby. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was never me as a teen. I always did the work - not doing it or pretending I couldn't would have made me quite anxious. Not sure how they do it so happily.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sudden ignorance. That would make a good gag for a cartoon, which could be part of a political series called Gaslighting 101.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.