Monday, February 24, 2020

Two More Down

Finished.

Yup, I finally finished eldest and middle nephews' 2019 Christmas gifts. They are in the mail as we speak. (Christmas on February 25th?)

I'll start with the Yoda beanie. (The pattern I used is here.) Eldest nephew requested a "Baby Yoda Beanie".

The beanie part itself didn't take long. But I took forever getting the ears done...


...because I knew they would flop, and I wasn't sure what to do about them. In the end, I knit a sleeve to put in a metal band to keep them sticking out.


It's not a great solution, but it'll work. If I were to knit another, I would look for a different way to do the ears. Hopefully the other nephews won't request one of these, at least for a little while.

The request that flummoxed me the most was middle nephew's request for a shark scarf. (The pattern I used is here.)

It took me a while to figure out what I was going to do. Once I had the plan, the scarf knit up quick. According to its Ravelry page, I started it on February 6th and finished it on the 17th.


I modified the shark cloth block to make it more rectangular (read: I omitted several straight stockinette rows), and I reversed the shark on two blocks. Then I sewed the blocks together. It ended up being a good length...


(It's amazing how the light effects the color.)


Two more complete. Now I only have two more Christmas presents to go...

28 comments:

  1. Well done. The Yoda one is great. Your nephew will dig it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. Simply amazing. And cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the ears are the most important part. I love the shark scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its all about coolness these days, these Shark scarves rock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire anyone who can knit. The beanie and the scarf are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's not really some great skill. If one really wants to learn... But it isn't for everybody, I suppose.

      Delete
  6. I'd say those are awesome. Shark beanie is an unusual request.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a shark beanie pattern and I couldn't resist. That was several (6?) years ago. So, now that they know I can make them, the twins requested them. Middle nephew needed a scarf to go with it.

      Delete
  7. Lucky nephews. One of my most treasured gifts as a child was a "navyman's sweater" my aunt knit for me. I cherished it so that when I outgrew it, she actually knit me another - and I still have it somewhere in my house (if the moths didn't get to it, because it was wool.)Hoping your nephews enjoy your gifts as much as I loved that sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Yoda one turned out really well. I definitely would have had fun with that one as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be astonished at how much Star Wars knit stuff is out there.

      Delete
  9. Halfway done! I do like how you fixed Yoda's ears! Everything looking great!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job on the Christmas gifts. I know they will like them and probably get used a lot. I love the baby Yoda! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. Maybe not. I have no control over that.

      Delete
  11. Good solution as it works, and the effect is great! The two other are still Christmas presents? ;))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Liz - yes ... lucky nephews, who have an aunt who can knit and craft. Clever - and well done ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look great. The hat is very funny and I bet they will love it. The shark scarf is quite cool. You created the sharks wonderfully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky to find a good pattern. I had been struggling with it for a couple months.

      Delete
  14. Very cool Liz! The Yoda is cool but I love the sharks. :) I tried and tried to get into knitting but I just couldn't so I gave away all of my knitting stuff and am sticking with crochet. I wonder if I could do the shark in crochet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shark would probably work better in crochet, although you'd have to do it in a different color rather than contrasting stitches. Something to think about.

      Delete
  15. Amazing that you can knit whatever your nephews want! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of. I'm always a bit afraid to ask them as one of these days they may come up with something I can't do.

      Delete
  16. Double wowza! You are one talented woman, Liz.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.