Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Deep Sleeper


It was seventh period at the continuation high school. Science class. They were supposed to be working on Punnett squares, but most weren't doing much of anything. Basically, it was a typical day.

I had not had a break since about noon. This is not typical, as the teachers usually have their "lunch" period sometime in the afternoon. But I was picking up an extra period as the teacher had to leave early. Because of the scramble, I had not had a chance to hit the restroom, so by the end of seventh period, I really, really needed to go.

It was about 3:15. The kiddos tried to leave. The bell hadn't rung. But another teacher had let his kiddos go, so I dismissed the class, and then the bell rang.

I was ready to be out the door when I noticed that one of the kiddos was still at his desk. Asleep. Sigh.

I totally should have noticed that earlier, but oh well. I went over to wake him up.

"The bell rang. Time to go."

No movement.

So, I went to gently nudge his shoulder. No movement. Louder, "It's time to go." No movement.

Deep sigh. I can't leave the kid alone in the room. But I really have to go. How to wake him?

I tried turning off the lights. I stomped around. Nothing was waking him. Finally, I got into his face and told him it was time to wake up.

And finally, he did.

He rubbed his face. Shifted position. Got out his pencil. And made a pretense of working...

So, yeah, not awake.

"The bell rang. It's time to go."

Finally, he got the message. He kind of staggered out, not quite conscious.

I feel kind of bad for pushing him out the door like that. It was clear he wasn't quite with it yet. But, I really, really needed to get to the restroom. I'll save my gentler wakings for when that isn't so urgent.

15 comments:

  1. He shouldn't have been sleeping in class....but I understand your urgency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I should have caught him sooner. That I didn't notice until the end of the period is on me.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that was a deep sleep!! Probably couldn't use an alarm clock app on your phone as he probably is used to sleeping through those! Perhaps the ding of a text message? Would that have woken him?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude. That kid was out. I don't think I'd ever been that deep of sleeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. Especially not when I'm not in my own bed.

      Delete
  4. Somebody isn't getting any sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kinda like the idea of turning the lights off and leaving him - the shock when he woke up might have made sure he wouldn't sleep in class again (but I know you can't do that). You'd think his mates might have woken him at the end of class though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would lead up to a lot of questions, was he sleeping so hard cause he went to bed really late? What was the reason for not getting in bed early? Is there an issue at home? Or is he one meds for allergies? Does it knock him out? WHAT.....but you scared me when you said he would not wake...thought you were going to tell us he was dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting thought. If a student did drop dead in class... I wonder if I would post about it. I'm not sure.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. If it was a habit, I would be worried. But I've had him in class before, and he didn't fall asleep, so it might have been a one off?

      Delete
  8. Hmm, it sounds like narcolepsy. I've had a few run ins with that. They are impossible to wake up. And even then, you're not sure that they are actually conscious, which can be really dangerous as "Sleepwalking" looks a lot like consciousness but really isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. He is a super deep sleeper.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.