Thursday, February 20, 2020

Not a Fair Fight


Tuesday. Ms. S taught four periods of twelfth grade government and one period of tenth grade world history. In the lesson plan, she asked me to tell her which was the best class of the day as they would receive extra credit points as a reward.

I normally rank the classes. Some teachers like having that information, so now it's just habit.

The government classes were working on their "civics project". This was a group assignment, so once I had taken roll, they shifted around so they sat with their team members. They discussed.

The world history class was to outline a chapter. Individually.

So, um, yeah, this was not a fair fight. If the tenth graders had chosen not to work, it would have been different. But they settled to silence, and I had a stack of work at the end of the period.

The twelfth graders? They weren't loud. Many appeared to be on task, but their project wasn't due, so I had no way to verify what they'd gotten accomplished.

(First period chatted. There is a difference to the sound when groups are discussing their assignment versus when friends are sitting around talking. First period was not on task.)

So, while the seniors weren't bad (I'd take that kind of working any day, well, all but first period), the sophomores were better.

The tenth graders won, of course. I just hope Ms. S gave the second place finishers points as well. Among the senior classes was more of an actual competition.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hopefully she'll take into account there is a second place.

      Delete
  2. Is there any practical advantage of getting credits or is just a boost for the students?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could help their grades. Depending on how many points, it might replace a missing score or it could help students on the border between grades get up to the next one.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, they're seniors. They've gotten to the point where they stopped caring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the comment that it was not a fair competition. Now if they all had the same assignment then I can see how it would be fairer to judge who was the most well behaved. I wonder if she lets the classes know about this competition?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. A reward of extra points might make me want to be on my best toes. Maybe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seem like 11 and 12 graders are pretty good. The real world a waits them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would give a tie since it sounds like apples vs oranges

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.