Thursday, February 13, 2020

69 Degrees


Thursday at the continuation high school. I was doing "testing overflow"...

(It's always something at the continuation high school.) The students had some district mandated testing to do. Because some students had the classes where the testing was happening twice (and they weren't required to take the test twice), they needed somewhere to go that wasn't the testing room for that second period. So, the school contracted a couple subs to watch over them. It was a very easy gig.

I had been relegated to the fire occupations room. (It's an after school career training thing that's run through a different entity but uses facilities on campus.)

The first thing I did upon getting to campus was to turn on the heat. Yeah, I know you all laugh at us here in southern California, but it was bitterly cold. When I got there, it was 54 degrees inside the classroom (Fahrenheit; so that's 12 degrees Celsius).

By fifth period, things were much warmer. The classroom had been comfortable for hours. (The heater got the classroom comfortable by mid first period.)

However, I was feeling a bit chilly. Tuesday I woke up feeling sinusy, and I had been feeling under the weather since then. I generally run warm, but I had been chilled all week. So, I wasn't trusting my internal thermostat.

I asked the kiddos in fifth period if they were cold. They were. But I had a feeling...

I could not see the thermostat from where I was sitting, so I asked them what the temperature read.

Someone went to look. And he started snickering.

I got him to verify what I then knew it had to be reading. 69 degrees. And then the rest of the students started snickering.

Oh dear. The maturity level...

I wasn't about to tackle that conversation, so I brushed it off by saying that was an adequate temperature. It's actually the temperature the thermostat is set to heat to. Now, I can adjust so it'll heat to 70, 71, or 72 degrees if I wished, but it seemed like overkill. It wasn't that cold. (Normally, I'd be quite comfortable at that temperature.)

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I cringe when certain things happen. That number is one of them.

      Delete
  2. Bitterly cold. Sure. Better get some fur parkas.

    The second I saw the title I knew what this post would be about. And I was right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, that's too cold for a classroom. Yeah, there are a few things you have to avoid in high school. Like the number 69, or making sure you call it an eraser, not a rubber (not sure if rubber is used that way in the US or not, but it's a rubber here - except for those few years of teen snickering).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your school really needs to find a different "set to" temperature. Would make life a lot easier (and less snickery). And by the way, I live in upstate New York, and I would freeze if my office was 54 degrees. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time the kiddos don't really notice the thermostat. It was my fault for telling them to look. (Certain commenters *cough* JE *cough* makes fun of me for being cold in the winter, so I tend to be careful with these posts.)

      Delete
  5. Hoping you feel better soon!! 54 in a classroom! Wow, I can't imagine!! You know; I think our blood thins out because we are in warmer environments. I feel chilled at 68-70 degrees; prefer it to be a little bit warmer. Kids will snicker over just about anything, won't they?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you weren't in the class...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.