Friday, February 14, 2020

Smokin' in the Boy's Room


It was Friday in one of the "severe to moderate" special ed. classrooms. Fourth period.

The teacher had left detailed lesson plans. Alas, they weren't detailed enough for someone who had never accessed this particular website, and it was taking me a lot of time to find and figure out what it was the kiddos were supposed to be looking at.

(The instructional assistants tried to help, but the teacher had always done it before, so they were unsure how to access the lesson as well. They got one of the neighboring teachers to help, but in the end I misinterpreted the instructions and did the wrong lesson. Sigh.)

So, while I heard a bit of the commotion going on, I only found out what happened after. (At the time there were three other adults in the room, the fourth was on her lunch. One was the class' IA, and the other two were one-to-one aides for specific students.)

The class IA went across the way and got a teacher out of the classroom diagonally across from us (one I have subbed for a few times in the past).

"Go in the restroom."

(I should mention at this point that the classroom had a restroom attached. It's very convenient, especially in classes where students need to have diapers changed.)

Ms. A was very hesitant. "Do I really want to see this?"

"You'll know when you go in," the IA said.

After she went in, there was a flurry of activity. I was busy going over the (what turned out to be wrong) lesson with the kiddos. One of the IAs gave me a heads-up that security might be arriving...

So what was going on?

The class IA had gone in to use the restroom after a student from across the way had used it. (This is so usual that I didn't notice at all.) Apparently he had been in there a long time as there was a certain odor that the IA picked up on.

The odor of marijuana...

Now, pot is legal in California, but it's legal like alcohol is legal. Adults only. Kiddos under 21 are a big nope.

And besides, schools are smoke free. Teachers and staff who smoke tobacco must go off campus if they want to smoke. I assume the same applies for smoking other substances. (I've not checked the updated rules. I'm sure working high is frowned upon.)

The IA knew who the student was and which class he had come from. (It's a large campus but a small group of special ed. students. The IAs know all of them.) His teacher knew, and administration was alerted.

But what got us in the end was he used a classroom restroom to do this. Where he was known. If he had gone to one of the usual boy's rooms where several students were always in and out...

I mean, it was like he was trying to get caught.

15 comments:

  1. How stupid can he be?

    I went to high school in the much more permissive 1970's, when students were allowed to smoke cigarettes on campus. A student who wanted to smoke had to step outside of the building to do so. Smokers used to congregate in the hallway behind the gym because of its easy access to the schoolyard. In bad weather they'd "forget" to actually step outside. And many f them were also smoking pot...you could get a contact high just walking through the hallway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe by the time I was in school smoking had been banned to off campus. And they had to be 18, so only a few seniors were actually allowed to.

      Delete
  2. Bizarre. Could some kid with a vendetta have proposed a dare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlikely. These are not the kiddos who usually do that sort of thing.

      Delete
  3. They're always so absolutely sure that no one will ever figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably doesn't think teachers know what the smell is...

    At least you found something for the students to be working on. I imagine the teacher would have preferred they did something - and at least the other staff in the room can let them know the instructions need to be a little clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Building on Songbird's comments, I went to college starting in 1970 and it was still permissible for students (and teachers) to smoke (tobacco) in classrooms, at least in my freshman year. (as for pot, people hid that more). And, in lessor grades, teachers had a "smoking lounge". I did a search for the question of if teachers can legally smoke pot in school. It would appear, according to the California Teachers Association FAQ, that they can not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think anyone really wants teachers teaching high.

      Delete
  6. Will he be suspended? He probably just didn't think about it. Wanted to smoke, could care less where it was at.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all I had to laugh over your title! For I remember that song in the 70's, as of which I am sure you were not around!! haha...Second, in the classroom BR? Really, that was total lack of not thinking or maybe just not caring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title allusion was deliberate. Motley Crue covered the song when I was in high school.

      I don't think the kiddo was thinking. Or caring. If he was doing either (or both), he would have planned that a whole lot better.

      Delete
  8. I got got smoking (cigarettes)in school and got suspended for a week. Man were my parents pissed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheesh! Every time I read your posts all I can do is be thankful I am NOT a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come back for my post on Thursday. It was actually a good day :)

      Delete
  10. If he wanted to get caught, then I hope he got the help he needed.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.