Thursday, February 6, 2020

Guest Conductor


There haven't been a lot of planned absences lately (trainings, conferences, meetings, etc.), so I've been getting gigs last minute (the dreaded early morning wake up call). For the most part, these teachers are falling ill, so lesson plans are kind of sparse and/or makeshift.

Wednesday. Band.

The class was expecting a rehearsal. They even knew what piece they were to be working on. But I was a musician (oboe). I didn't learn conducting.

As luck would have it, that was the day a teaching student was beginning his observations. No one had told him the teacher would be out. When it was clear I was out of my depth, he volunteered to rehearse the group.


And... Things went well. Really well. One doesn't begin teacher training until having spent time learning the subject concentration, so he had already trained to conduct.

I spent twelve years playing in bands. That period felt like a rehearsal.

Some days I really luck out.

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It went very, very well. I was so glad he was there.

      Delete
  2. The kids lucked out, too. They would've been bummed to not be able to play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a win-win situation! Do you still play the oboe?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Band class takes me way back. I had to take two years of music to go to my preferred high school. I often found myself feeling lost in practice with a conductor to follow, and I would definitely not know how to step into that role either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got easier to follow the longer you do it. I probably wasn't paying much attention to the conductor until I was midway through high school (so at least four years before I could manage it).

      Delete
  5. I played in orchestra, violin I played

    ReplyDelete
  6. The biggest problem as a player trying to conduct is we do it the wrong way around (because the player sees it go down, left etc, but the conductor is really going down, right). I bet you'd have managed if you hadn't had the student though (tip for the future, you can tap the beats on the stand :) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz - that was a stroke of luck for both of you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sang in chorus throughout my school years. The conductor in high school was an extremely irritable and cranky man. He'd brag that his son had perfect pitch and seemed pretty mad about the fact that no one in the chorus seemed to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's sad. One of my college conductors got mad at us for yawning in class. We weren't allowed to. (I learned how to "swallow" a yawn, like someone can tell you not to yawn...)

      Delete
  9. How nice when something goes your way. :) This reminds me of a recent dream. For some reason, my high school choir conductor was teaching Japanese. Weird. I'm sure Mr. H would be amused, though. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a weird juxtaposition. Dreams are weird.

      Delete
  10. It sounds like a fun time was had by all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha this is brilliant! It is one of my secret dreams to conduct a band and see what happens! Well done you!
    Wrenx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got that opportunity about a decade ago. It wasn't pretty. I'm sure you'd do better.

      Delete
  12. Glad it worked out well for you, Liz.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.