Thursday, December 6, 2018

So Hot


World history class at the continuation high school. They're doing a unit on the Holocaust. They were working on a vocabulary assignment in Google Classroom.

Because it was the continuation high school, most of them weren't doing much of anything. I was doing my usual rounds, trying to get them to make some sort of progress.

I came up on one boy who was on his phone. I questioned what he was up to. He told me that he had started the assignment, but when he opened his Google doc, his assignment had disappeared.

I completely understood. Trying to troubleshoot the problem, I asked the usual questions. He opened the Google doc to show me his assignment wasn't there... And his assignment popped up. His work had saved.

"It made me so hot when it wasn't there. I wasn't going to start it over."

And my ears perked up. "Hot"? He meant angry. Mad.

I did not know that hot was now a synonym for mad. Okay, then.

And, wouldn't you know it, other students used hot to mean angry that same day. It came up a couple times. The usage makes a certain amount of sense.

So, as you go about your day, see if you hear someone using hot to mean angry. I'm curious as to how widespread this now is.

16 comments:

  1. I have never (yet) heard "hot" used for "angry," but then there's the expression "hot head", meaning someone who's easily riled up. I admire anyone who is and seems to enjoy being a substitute teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Keep your ears open, though. Especially around the teens. It might be the newest slang.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if kids ever heard the phrase "hot under the collar".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would seem to have come from that phrase. And, yes, I wonder if they know its derivation. (I was also partial to being 'steaming mad/steamed'. :D

      Delete
    2. Perhaps. I wouldn't be surprised.

      Delete
  3. I think I've heard that, but I'm not sure where...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that being something we said when I was in my youth. Maybe its making a comeback?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to say someone was “hot under the collar” when they were angry. Guess what’s old is new again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. New generations think they invent things, but if you go back, you find that they're just rehashing things that have been around for a long time.

      Delete
  6. Ooh. An oldie but a goodie. Maybe I'll eventually sound relevant. lol Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some are deliberately anachronistic. I've seen students rock the '40s look just because they want to.

      Delete
  7. Hot under the collar is what first came to mind. I've never heard of kids working in google classroom, I'm really showing my age aren't I? Going to go backward for a bit here as I'm trying to catch up on your blog. Been MIA for a bit. I so enjoy your stories. I also don't know what continuation high school is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you're showing your age. Google Classroom has only been a thing for about 2 or 3 years. They've only had regular access to computers in all classes for maybe 2 years.

      The continuation high school is the school students are sent to when they're not going to graduate due to failing too many courses. It's where they are supposed to make up credits.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the update on teen slang. I will remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty clear as to usage, so it shouldn't be too shocking.

      Delete
  9. Yeah that's been one for a while. Or oh that got me all heat up! Or variations along those lines.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.