Tuesday, December 18, 2018

A Viewer's Responsibility


At the heart of much speculative fiction (and fiction in general) is a question. What if? On Tuesdays I like to throw one out there and see what you make of it. Do with it as you please. If a for-instance is not specified, feel free to interpret that instance as you wish. And if you find this becomes a novel-length answer, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements. ðŸ˜‰

I'm sure you already heard all about the harassment allegations against the star of Bull. It's been a huge thing this year with this star and that executive accused of demoralizing behavior. It's something that should be rooted out and dealt with. But that's not my question for today.

What if you learned that the star of your favorite TV show was guilty of terrible harassment? Would you continue to watch the show? Would you still enjoy it? Or would you cut that personality out of your entertainment life? 

There is no right or wrong answer here. Just food for thought.

13 comments:

  1. The key word is guilty. Yes, I have stopped watching some actors because of things they were convicted of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I read about the allegations from this actress and it could be taken either way actually. I think some women are offended by the slightest thing that men meant nothing bad by it but, on the other hand, a man could say the same thing but mean it exactly like the woman took it. Tricky in this scenario. I never liked Bill Cosby and never cared for his tv show or Fat Albert but I would watch I Spy or one of the movies he is in. Why should all the people who worked on a show or film be hurt by one a-hole? I also watch Mel Gibson movies even though I never want to know the guy at all. I have been horrible on blogger life...tis the season and now i got a bad cold from my friend who visited this weekend...yuck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you're feeling poorly. I hope you feel better soon.

      Yeah, that is the rub. What about the others involved in the project?

      Delete
  3. I actually hadn't heard that (I haven't even heard of the show). And I have cut out shows when I found out the people involved behave horribly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like others, I have stopped watching or listening to performers whose personal lives disgust me. Usually they're people I've thought creepy before I learned about their deeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If they are guilty yes. If they are accused, probably yes as well. Too many accusers are ignored. But, it also depends on how they react. Do they deny it or take responsibility? I would hope that if they are guilty they wouldn't still be on the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But what if they're the star? It's hard to get rid of the star most of the time.

      Delete
  6. If they are proven to be guilty, yes, I would boycott the show. IF it is all speculation with agenda, I would wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's becoming more and more of an issue, so I'm finding I can compartmentalize. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's easy to compartmentalize when it's something you like, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I don't think I could continue watching the show. I would hope too that the star would get some help to perhaps avoid harassing in the future.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.