Friday, December 7, 2018

Teacher's Favorite Number


My tenth grade geometry teacher's favorite number was 17. How do I know this? I think he told us on the first day of school. He had 17s posted everywhere. Students swiped 17s from Carl's Jr, and those were strewn about. Any time 17 came up, he make special reference to it.

It was Friday, and I was covering various levels of science. Fifth period was survey of biology. They had a test.

A student called me over. The question was, "What is Ms. V's favorite number?"

Why would a teacher put that on a test? Probably because she wanted there to be an even number of questions (for ease in grading percentages), but there weren't an even number of necessary questions for the test.

The student didn't know how to answer.

Um... I've never met the teacher. I figured if she put the question on the test, she probably has made mention of her favorite number on more than one occasion. So, the student should know it.

I told him to make his best guess. (It was multiple choice.)

As I was collecting tests, I noticed that test number 12 had a heart next to the number. And that's when it hit me.

I flipped through the test. The question as to what the teacher's favorite number was? Number 12.

So, I've never met the teacher, and I figured out the answer.

After everyone had finished the test, I asked them. What did you all get for favorite number? They didn't know. Well, some of them didn't know. When I pointed out that the question was number 12, several of them gasped in recognition.

Apparently, she had mentioned her favorite number. And on more than one occasion. I heard various examples. That they remembered after the test.

Considering their behavior during the test (not good), I'm not surprised they missed that. They don't seem to be very observant. Sigh.

24 comments:

  1. What grade was this? Wondering if they were middle schoolers? I don't think I have a favorite number. Do you?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Apparently it's her birthday. Of what month, I have no idea.

      Delete
  3. Well, most young people are absorbed in themselves and not observant of others. At least a few got it right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, a pretty clever question! Doesn't have anything to do with biology, but perhaps relates to paying attention in class and problem solving skills. Kudos to you for figuring it out without ever having met the teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope she doesn't mark them wrong. There's nothing more frustrating when your teacher asks stupid questions like that. Mine was in Economics class when the teacher asked if some old, balding economist was the most attractive man ever. Apparently "No" wasn't the right answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure I've ever given thought to a favorite number. Certainly don't remember any teach mentioning having one, but then that was back in the dark ages and who can remember that long ago. lol Does seem like a strange question for a test. Was she trying to give them an easy answer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that was supposed to be a gimme question.

      Delete
  7. This is a good one. Laughed! Made my evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you could argue the question shouldn't have been there - it's not to do with maths - but you got an answer as to whether they pay attention!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the smart question... but I have no favorite number.
    have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not like favorite color which you're expected to have.

      Delete
    2. Mine would be odd at any rate, I don't like even numbers!
      Your comment made me think of my answer to Spectrum's privacy question. The technician laughed when he asked me for it last week. The question is, "What's your favorite sports team?" My answer? "None."

      Delete
    3. Yeah, sports team is another thing that one may not have a favorite for. Especially if one doesn't care for sports.

      Delete
  10. I have small knowledge of numerology and My number is three but I feel comfort with number 8
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I'll be! I feel good with 7.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like number 12 too. It has so many factors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite as many as 24 or 48, but for a smaller number, it probably has the most.

      Delete
  13. She sounds like a teacher who thinks outside of the box. lol

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.