Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Not Terribly Observant


Economics. Seniors. They had an assignment that (I found out later) took them about half the period.

For the second half of the period (because they all did the assignment), they found other things to do. Quiet settled things. (A freshman class would have gone nuts.)

Fifth period. 15 minutes until the end. Two students from elsewhere walked in. Could they talk to Michael?

Sure, I said.

But no Michael made his way up to the front. Was Michael present? I hadn't marked him absent...

Michael was asleep. It took a minute or so to wake him...

Um... Well... Saying he wasn't the only sleeper doesn't make me look any better. Nor does admitting that I didn't notice the sleepers.

Does it look any better to know they had all completed their assigned work?

Yeah, I'll slink away now in shame...

13 comments:

  1. If they all completed their work then I say MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! My sister used to always sleep through her government class in high school. Our school did not ring bells for passing to the next class. One time the teacher kept everyone quiet and she woke up in the middle of the next class. I think she stopped sleeping in his government class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did something similar in my French class, but we had bells. We switched classrooms with the Spanish teacher next door. The boy awoke to a Spanish lesson having fallen asleep in a French class.

      Delete
  3. If their work was done, let them sleep. Peace and quiet for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, a nap during high school is sometimes MANDATORY. I always found that if I was fighting to stay awake, a five minute surrender would keep me going to for the rest of the class or day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, as long as they did their assignment it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I would have loved to catch a few Zzzs in class. And they got their work done. Consider it another assignment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least they didn't snore, that I think you might have noticed :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I would have. I was dealing with a bit of a head cold myself, so I was spending the day trying not to drip over everything.

      Delete
  8. Oh I fell asleep in French class once. Ever have a dream where someone is calling to you and you find out it is someone in waking life? Yup happened to me with the teacher staring over me and all of class looking at me. Oh well, I was not much into French any way:)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.