Thursday, January 14, 2016

Mail Room


Special ed. One of those classes where I had pretty much the same students all day.

For 3rd period, the lesson plan read: "Mail delivery if it is not raining."

It wasn't raining, per se. The clouds were dark. The ground was wet. It had been raining earlier, but there was no actual water falling from the sky at that moment. And oh, I wanted to deliver the mail.

Teachers have cubby holes in the main office where various items are distributed to them. They can get outside mail, but mostly it's flyers from other teachers or stuff that every teacher gets. Used to be that teachers would go and retrieve the items from their cubbies at some point during the day. But recently, a couple special ed classes have made it a daily project for the students.

The instructional aides and I assessed the weather. While it wasn't actually raining that second, it looked like it might start any minute. And we'd be out in it.

Still, I pushed to do it. The kiddos (read: me) needed to get out of the room and have a bit of a walk around.

We headed to the office. And I felt a few drops on my head. Uh oh...

But after retrieving the mail from the staff lounge, we exited to still no actual rain. There wasn't much mail to deliver, so the kiddos were sent on their way. We got back to class not having really been rained on.

Ten minutes later the sky opened up. It started pouring. Yeah, we timed that just about right.

14 comments:

  1. That was good; I bet you were going a bit stir crazy and just walking outside helped to clear the air so to speak :) Cute service for them to do too with the mail delivery.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a great idea the first time I encountered it. And yeah, it was great to get out for a bit.

      Delete
  2. You got lucky! It would not have been fun to have been soaked by the downpour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I would not have enjoyed that at all. I bet the kids would have liked it, though.

      Delete
  3. Just in the nick of time, I'd say. I'm sure there would have been a lot of complaining if they got stuck in the downpour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any excuse to get 'em outta that room I reckon. Well braved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much an excuse to get them out as to get me out. (They get out for PE, other classes, snack, and lunch.)

      Delete
  5. a little rain wouldn't melt anyone...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a feeling there would have been lots of giggles and puddle jumping if you all got caught.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think getting soaked in the rain would be preferable to some of the episodes your describe here. LOL! Just kidding

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can only imagine the chaos if you'd miscalculated the window! It's a great idea getting the special ed kids to do that job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it might have gotten ugly if we'd gotten rained on. But then again, they might have enjoyed it.

      Delete
  9. Nice to get outside when you're stuck in all day. I'll bet everyone enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.