Monday, January 4, 2016

On Second Thought

A couple weeks ago I mentioned my failure to reproduce this...

Ceramic cell phone holder, Parkmiphone

...in knitting. But a funny thing happened last week...

I was perusing Ravelry for no good reason. Like I do sometimes, I decided to check out the pattern page for my first eReader pillow pattern. I like to see all the different variations people have tried. 

As I went through, I came across jennerf27's iPad stand/prop pillow. She didn't use the pattern. It was more of a jumping off point to design something new. And she did something rather interesting. To keep the device standing she didn't use bobbles or an I-cord. She used a pocket. 

And my mind went whirling. 

Because I thought a pocket might just work on my little knitted scroll. And it did. Sort of. 

knitted scroll prop for ereader

It's not exactly what I envisioned. I wanted more of a scroll. And the angle is a bit off. But it works. 

I'll tinker with it a bit more. This was just a proof of concept anyway. Still, I'm excited that it wasn't a complete failure. 

(This weekend I saw Tim's Vermeer, and I'm just grateful that this little idea didn't take me five years to complete.)

16 comments:

  1. You found a way to make it work. I'm sure you'll have it perfected in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Afterall, it is a brilliant idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just not my brilliant idea. (That's cool. As long as I can give credit, I have no problem using other people's brilliant ideas.)

      Delete
  3. That first picture reminds me of those slap bracelets that were all the rage when I was in middle school.

    Like Alex, I think you'll have it perfected in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks nice. Good luck with your knitting and creating. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When there is a will, there is a way; I bet you'll figure this one out :) I look forward to your creation when you do :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. the phone will be warm at least :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's something that u have created !
    Be proud
    Happy new year
    http://shilpachandrasekheran.blogspot.in/?m=1

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.