Thursday, January 28, 2016

Not About the Highlighter


So...um...well... I kinda fell... Yeah...

It was after school. I was on my way to the office to check out for the day. I must have stepped wrong. I don't actually recall.

I do remember the falling and the landing on my right knee. I tore my pants but didn't see the scraped raw part of my knee until I got home. I didn't realize my left ankle was twisted until I stood.

The ankle hurt more than the knee. But, I was two days into a two-week assignment, so I hobbled into work the next day.

I set up a chair. When I had to be standing (which wasn't much, actually), I kept my weight off it. And the students didn't seem to notice. (They didn't say. They're freshmen, so it's likely that my awkward movements were completely missed by them.)

Except for 2nd period...

They were the worst class. They weren't terrible compared to some classes I've had, but they suffered in comparison to this teacher's other classes. Mostly, they spent more time talking than working.

So, when two boys started arguing over a highlighter, I wasn't terribly surprised. One boy had another boy's highlighter and he wouldn't give it back. Typical stuff. I gave them a minute or two, but they didn't resolve it, so I knew it was time to step in.

I hoisted myself up and took two steps towards the dispute...

"Really? You're going to make her come over there over a highlighter? Can't you see she's injured...?"

I didn't recall seeing this girl around when I fell. (It was after school. There were witnesses.) She explained that one of her friends had seen me fall and had told her about it. (Which I didn't want to examine too closely. I had seen a couple students who had been in my classes that day.)

So, apparently, some of them had heard. But hadn't mentioned it. Well, then again, I hadn't mentioned it.

The boys resolved the highlighter issue on their own. They probably would have anyway. But perhaps I should milk my "injury" for all it's worth.

(The ankle really hurt for about a day. The pain lessened considerably the second day. And now I'm moving about normally, although there's still a twinge of pain in my foot.)

18 comments:

  1. Sorry you hurt yourself. If it helps in dealing with the kids, keep milking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the injury :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd milk it for all it was worth. Especially if it will keep those kids in line!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a point where it stops helping. But these weren't terrible classes, so I really didn't need the assist.

      Delete
  4. I have always used honesty with that stuff, most kids are empathetic enough that they do react with humanity, it is something i love about teaching, kids who can be utterly feral until they find out X has happened in your life and they just turn around, even if only for a lesson. They do really want to be "nice" some of them just haven't quite worked out the logistics yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they can be helpful from time to time.

      Delete
  5. I reckon most kids have quite a decent side when the teacher is unwell. I was taking a senior Drama class once with the worst migraine, I lay on the floor, only getting up to give direction and to vomit into a waste paper bin. Kids were bloody brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, on some of my worst days, I find I have less of a problem with them.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear that you fell! Glad that the kids worked out the highlighter issue for themselves. And it's nice that that one student sort of shamed them into doing so.

    I fell on some icy steps at my school one winter and injured the wrist of my writing hand. My students were psyched because they thought they'd get out of...well, everything. They did not.

    Anyway, hope you're on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice she had compassion for you and made that comment so the boys could resolve their difference themselves. Glad to hear the ankle is better, can you get work comp if you were injured more?

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that worked well! Glad you weren't more seriously injured.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh-I hope you are feeling better now. It sounds like a nasty fall. it sounds, also, like you heal quickly which is good

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes kids can be nice. I love that even though they didn't mention your injury to you, they were still willing to settle the argument on their own to keep you from having to "step" in. Glad your foot didn't hurt for more than a day or so afterward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hurt badly for a couple days. After a week or so, I was back to normal. I still have a red mark on my knee, though.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.