Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Pot, Meet Kettle

Certain students are memorable and not in a good way.  

The minute Ashley walked in I remembered her.  This girl is angry.  She behaves however she wants to, and consequences don't faze her.  But apparently today was a good day.

The class was working on questions (they are reading Huck Finn) when Ashley looked at me as if for the first time.

"I had you in Mrs. R's class.  Everybody hated you."

Me: "Um, okay?"

I wasn't sure how to respond to that.  Was I supposed to be upset?  Angry?  Apologetic?  I wasn't sure what reaction Ashley was after, so I gave none.  She moved on.  I guess she didn't get what she was after.

In the class following, Ashley's name came up.  She had left behind something of hers, and her name was on it.  

"Ashley?"

"Oh, her."

"I hate her."

"She's so loud."

And the comments got worse from there.  I directed the class back to their work, and Ashley was quickly forgotten.

Oh, so okay.  Ashley was projecting.  I get it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.