Friday, January 16, 2009

Not the Drama

I had a whole plan.  I was going to read them the riot act.  I had a whole speech prepared.  "I'm sorry"???  I didn't see that one coming.

Today was day 3 in this class.  They've had subs all week.  It shows.  So yesterday during the video 3rd period went wild.

At the end of the period a girl at the back of the classroom attracted my attention.  She went and found paper towels.  She was wiping something up.  It appeared to be water.  (It's a science classroom.  There are working sinks.)  As the students left class, I noticed one faucet still running water.  I went back to turn it off only to find that the handle was completely broken off.

I looked about for a shut off valve.  The pipes went into the wall.  I couldn't find access.  And with 4th period streaming in, I had to come up with a solution quickly.  I called the office and asked them to send out a custodian.  He arrived and easily found the shut off valve.

Okay, crisis averted, but who broke the faucet in the first place?  I doubted that I'd find out.  But I could narrow down the suspect list.

Today as I was making my opening remarks, I turned to the back of the room and said, "You broke the faucet?  Seriously?"

And I actually got a reply: "Sorry.  I went to wash my hands and the handle came off."

There was the culprit.  No muss.  No fuss.  Easily identifiable.  If I'd've known it'd be that easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.