Saturday, July 19, 2008

Computer? Hello, Computer?

I like to turn the computer on before I have breakfast. I check my email and then I eat. So, that's what I did this morning. Unfortunately, that's where the trouble started.

The computer booted up all right, but then I couldn't get the mouse to move the cursor. That's a problem, but one that I have frequently enough. I tried the usual fixes. Then I shut down the computer to reboot. That's the last fix, but it usually works.

But this time, the computer wouldn't restart. I got this awful error message saying that some file was damaged and the computer wouldn't restart because of it.

I'm not a computer expert. I'm not even close. So, this is where I panic.

I retrieved my Windows disc, but the computer wouldn't read the CD-ROM. I attempted other versions of Windows saved from previous computers, but they wouldn't work either. I had exhausted all of my technical skills, and I had gotten nowhere. And of course I couldn't call for help because the Windows CD refers you to their website for technical help (a fat lot of good that was going to do me).

Well, at least my brother knew what to do (thanks Chris!). And once I got the computer to read the CD first and boot off of that, I got the damaged file fixed (I hope).

First thing on the agenda? Back up the hard drive (it had been a couple months since I did it last).

I have no idea if I'll have the computer tomorrow or if I'm going to have to wipe the hard drive and start from scratch (I'm shuddering just thinking of this). So, it may be a while before I get back here. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.