Thursday, May 23, 2024

A Job Change

The room I was in last week was between two co-taught math classes. I have covered both classes in the past, and I am familiar with the teachers, enough so that we had brief conversations during the week. (They were kind enough to offer up their rooms if I needed to send any kiddos out.) 

In passing, Ms. W mentioned that she'd be swapping periods with Ms. S's sub that day (the sub would cover her learning center so she could cover Ms. S's credit recovery). And then later, I saw Mr. H entering the room...

I have not mentioned Mr. H before, but I have worked with him many, many times. He was an instructional aide. As he's fluent in Spanish, he would work the ELD classes. Sometimes he would work in other classes, but it was usually so he could translate for students who didn't speak much English.

So, Mr. H going into the math class got me wondering. He was not in the areas I was used to seeing him. Was he a sub now? 

A couple days later, I managed to encounter him at the right time (beginning of the day), so I asked. And yep, he was no longer working as an IA. He was working as a sub.

I have had conversations with IAs before about the requirements to sub. In some cases they don't have a bachelor's degree, so subbing is out. But some of them are working their way through school. And some of them do have their bachelor's. 

I sometimes wonder if becoming an IA would be a good move. Regular hours. Steady assignment. Paid days off. Benefits. 

But as the IAs look to the subs and some make that transition, I wonder. I guess this is a case of grass-is-greener. Maybe? 

(Mr. H was a great IA, and I'm sure he's great as a sub.)

15 comments:

  1. Could be an interesting change. But you are very good at what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to enjoy subbing, however those four perks of IA-ing would be tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten to the point where I'm comfortable with it. It took me a while to get here.

      Delete
  3. Job changes are so challenging. In my view, it's hard to know if you're going to like it until you actually do it for a while. And by then, you're committed and there might be no going back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are there transitions you know of from sub to IA? Perhaps, if you are, you might run into one or more of them and ask them if they are happy, or wish they were IA's again (and why, for either answer). Maybe that would be a starting point. If there aren't any sub to IA transitions, that might be your answer, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was an IA, who has since retired, who said he subbed for a while and then took an IA position. He seemed happy with his job.

      Delete
  5. You never know...more opportunities but you are great at what you do and you don't mind the work hours being unsteady. I would hate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not planning on making that sort of change. If I change jobs, it'd be to get out of education.

      Delete
  6. Hi Liz - if you're comfortable ... sounds like a non-starter - easier with life as it is - at times. Also there's plenty of change in the post of a sub as your job anyway ... have a good weekend - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason, I read IA and AI and was hella confused half way through :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an interesting conundrum. Best wishes, my dear, on your decision and life in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a conundrum. Just a wondering. It's not going to happen.

      Delete
  9. It's nice to know that it's possible to switch. Even if you don't want to, now. Enjoy the end of the school year!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.