Thursday, July 21, 2022

Summer Daze 13


 ONE

Now that I'm fully on vacation, I figured it was time to get some car maintenance done. So, last Monday afternoon I dropped off my car. I knew they wouldn't start on it until Tuesday, but my car would have been blocked in Tuesday morning unless I left really early. And I'm on vacation, so I'm not getting up early without a very good reason. (Car maintenance isn't that great of a reason.)

TWO

So, naturally, on Tuesday I got called to work. The alternative education center opened last Wednesday for their summer session, and for the third summer in a row, they were short a teacher

I turned them down. Save for a couple weeks here and there, I've been working continuously since July of last year. I really just want some day-to-day subbing if I'm going to work at all until August. 

THREE

I asked the garage to check the brakes on my car. They said they were fine. But there was a noise that concerned them. They took a day to diagnose the problem. What did they find? The brakes needed replacing. As I had an inkling they would. (It's time.)

FOUR

I bought some new summer clothes. And one of the pieces I got was a skort. Yup, the '90s are back. 

I had been looking for some skirts just for something cooler to wear than my usual capris. I was shopping online. In the skirts section, I found the skort. And I knew I had to have it.

It arrived midweek. 

FIVE

Mid June, my computer decided to be difficult. My mouse stopped working. Well, I mean, it worked. It just did this weird jumping thing where when I'd try to click on something, it would activate something completely unrelated as the cursor was on the wrong item on screen. 

Luckily, I had a corded mouse to put in its place. That's been working. But I suspect the issue might be resolved, so it might be time to plug the old cordless mouse back in. I'm hesitant, though. 

SIX

The other thing that happened right around the same time was my computer stopped connecting to the WiFi. Usually, I open the computer, and it connects. 

I could get the WiFi to connect, but only after I'd turn off the internet and turn it back on. This is fine for a one-off, but once it started happening daily, I knew there had to be a better solution.

When I had time, I actually got the whole thing reset on my computer. I'm not sure exactly what I did in Settings, and I had to do it twice before it took. Once I restarted the computer, after I had done the reset, (for the second time), the issue resolved. It's been about week, and the computer is still connecting to the WiFi automatically. Fingers crossed that it keeps up.

SEVEN

Apparently, the message that COVID infections are increasing has gotten out. I just got back from grocery shopping, and suddenly, mask wearers were in the majority. (I've been wearing my mask all along. It was nice to have company.) I haven't seen it like that in months.

EIGHT

I have to get out when the getting's good. This is also why I had to take my car in Monday afternoon.

My landlady is having her bathroom redone. They've been working on it since May. Because of the parking situation around here, when the guys arrive to do the work, my car is blocked in. I mean, if I really have to leave, I can ask them to move their truck, and then I can get out. But I'd rather not bother them if it's something like a grocery run, especially when they generally leave early enough that me getting my shopping done after isn't a problem.

NINE

I was in the middle of writing #6 when I heard the guys leave. I finished writing #6, got dressed, and left. It was earlier than I was expecting, but all they had to do today was put up some wallpaper. They're almost done with that bathroom.

TEN

Last weekend I got to try out my new skort. And man... I absolutely loved it. It was way cooler than my capris. And I looked way more pulled together. I loved it so much I immediately went online and ordered another. 

ELEVEN

I've been slowly decluttering. On a whim I bought some storage boxes. I only got two thinking I wasn't going to be able to use more. I liked them so much, I knew I was going to need more.

The two I bought were on sale for 25% off. Not being sure when the sale ended, I made sure to go back the next day to get more. And sure enough, that was the last day of the sale. I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer. Although, if I end up needing more, now I'll have to pay full price.

TWELVE

I'm not sure how I'm going to rearrange things yet. But I did clear out my school bag. I've gotten rid of some catalogs that were lingering. It's slow going, but I have some time now since I'm not working. 

THIRTEEN

This is why most of my Thursday posts are reposts during the summer. But occasionally I like to check in with a Thursday 13 to talk about what's going on in the day-to-day. Feel free to join in if you have a list of thirteen things, random or not.

20 comments:

  1. I’m glad you like the skort!

    I’m having trouble with my laptop, too, and have to find the time to take it in for service

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we all having laptop issues? Interesting. It must be something in the air...

      Delete
  2. I too have random computer problems, particularly with wifi. I close the cover for a couple of hours and when I get back, it will not connect no matter what. Note that this doesn't happen if I only shut it for an hour. : /

    ReplyDelete
  3. You deserve some time off! I have lifetime oil changes on my Explorer, and when I have it done the dealer hands me a long list of items that it "needs." I take the list to my neighborhood (walking distance) mechanic who usually tells me I don't, and sometimes even things that couldn't be done to my truck at all! I did get the brakes done.
    My computer is just slow. Very slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the reasons I stopped taking my car to the dealer. Where I go, they don't tend to recommend more than I really need done.

      Delete
  4. Yes, you deserve some time off. It's always something with cars, isn't it. Fortunate to have a son who knows something about computers and is good with his hands; my laptop would be a brick without him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Computers--can't live without them, can't keep them working...

      Delete
  5. My laptop exploded (seriously), so now I have a desktop, and I am happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mice break all the time. I still have a couple of skorts from decades ago. I'm glad you have some summer time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got rid of my original skorts. I think they probably wore out. I mean, I wouldn't be able to fit in them now, but I think they wore out before that.

      Delete
  7. I saw skorts on display at Walmart of all places when I was there to get cat food two days ago. I thought, that would be nice. Hmmm, now that you are singing their praises you embolden me to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Mercury was in retrograde for most of June. When that happens, stuff just doesn't work right. I am glad you like your skort! My mother liked those, but I have never been a fan of anything but long pants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, lots of organization in this post! haha....I remember skorts as being a skirt like in the front but the look of shorts in the back.....but a friend of mine cleaned out her closet and gave me a few pair of ones that are actually a skirt with shorts attached under it. You never see the shorts when you wear them. I love them for working at the venue in the heat. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one I got was a skirt with shorts attached. The ones I had in the '90s were flap on front, shorts in back. I was looking for skirts and leggings, so this saved a step.

      Delete
  10. I had no idea skorts were out.lol. I love them. You have been busy and I hate car repairs because of the cost. I would like to downsize but not ready to tackle that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do what I'm doing--do it slowly. Take it one thing at a time. Or one part of one thing.

      Delete
  11. Oh, my list is longer than 13 sadly. Enjoy your break, you've earnt it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done Liz - trying to fit things in is always difficult ... so you're managing well - as well as getting some break from subbing. The skort sounds just perfect ... glad you managed to get another of the same sort. Enjoy these few days of being free from ties - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.