Thursday, July 14, 2022

Whoops


Summer schedule means today is #ThrowbackThursday. Today's post is from September 29, 2016. And boy, do I remember this particular oopsie! What I didn't admit at the time (but it's been long enough now that I can say) was that how I actually fixed this was to scrounge in the teacher's desk and find her username and password for her computer. Cheating, sure. But it solved the problem.

11th grade U.S. history. The teacher had found several video clips on YouTube that showed what life was like at the turn of the Twentieth Century. She left shortcuts on the main screen of her laptop, and everything was plugged in and ready to go.

In preparation, I opened each video in a new tab. And then... I shut the laptop...

...thus engaging the automatic lock.

Did I mention that the computer was logged in under the teacher's name? With a password I did not have.


I realized the stupidity of closing the laptop the instant after I did it.


(Why did I close the laptop? I'm not sure. I think I was trying to engage the blank screen. But who knows? I think I'll blame it on the cold I was coming down with.)

At least I had the brains to do this right before the prep period the period before I needed the videos. So, I had time to piece something together.

Some days I have it all together. And then other days I'm the stupid sub who screws it all up.

17 comments:

  1. Sometimes we do things automatic without stopping to think that it might not be the best idea! I close out things on my work computer a lot of times and then fuss at myself cause I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a habit of closing the computer when I wasn't using it. I don't do it as much anymore. This day might have been the reason I stopped.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't use the word stupid at all. You seem very creative ant your job. We all do things like that reflexively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but I felt stupid. So stupid. At the time.

      Delete
  3. I bet the teacher has done that a whole bunch of times. One thing about you, Liz, is that you’re a resourceful, intelligent sub who makes something work no matter how fazed you may be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've all done things we've regretted a second or two later. The important thing is that you figured out a solution. A win for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I had to figure something out, and quick.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes we do something without thinking about it, it's normal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, have been throttled by technology. Never fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes we all made mistakes. That is lesson for future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did something like this at work this week (shredding something that I thought I'd finished with, but turned out still needed info from it). Luckily one of my co-workers had a copy (I found out after a few stressful hours, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever just "closed" my laptop. Of course, it's my own. So I always know that either I'm done (=shut down properly and put it away) or I'm not (=leave it on but close unnecessary windows). It would be hard to work with someone else's laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I can't begin to mention the countless times I did things without thinking.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.