Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Gentleman Jack

Now that I'm actually, officially on summer vacation, it's time to bring back the summer schedule. So, that means on Wednesdays, I talk about something I'm watching on TV. 

The time is 1832, and the place is Halifax, England. Anne Lister is a busy landowner and world traveler. She's also a lesbian. And she's just gotten her heart broken. Her latest girlfriend just married a man. 

Gentleman Jack is based on the diaries of the real Anne Lister. I stumbled upon this show on HBO Max after seeing a trailer for season 2. And I thought, that looks interesting. 

It was.

There are two seasons of eight episodes each. I have no idea if there will be a third season. 

The first season details Anne's dealings with her tenants, fellow landowners stealing the coal on her land, her relationship with her sister and family, her travel, and her ambitions. And Anne decides to pursue a local heiress. 

I found the whole thing fascinating. 

Take a look and see if you might find it interesting.

Alas, now I have finished it, and if there's a third season, I have probably a year (or more) to wait. Does anyone have any good shows to recommend to me?

15 comments:

  1. Sorry, no. I watch old mystery series and crime (police procedurals I think they are called?) dramas on Hulu. I just watched The Killing for the second time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good with some mystery shows. I have seen The Killing, though.

      Delete
  2. I have not heard of this. It sounds quite interesting especially if it is true because it was considered a crime. She reminds me of Georges Sand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, she says a couple times that what she does is *not* a crime. Gay male stuff, yes. Lesbian female stuff, no.

      Delete
  3. It's hard to find anything good to watch anymore. I watched the Bosch series, since I'd read the books. And probaby will watch Lincoln Lawyer series, a spin off, have also read those books. I liked the movie "Lucky" forget where I found it. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been hearing good stuff about the Bosch series. I may have to seek that one out. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. This does not seem like we would watch this. No syfy, blowing up stuff..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have Amazon Prime? Look out for Night Sky.

      Delete
  5. Hi Liz - I loved this, and particularly the theme tune ... but also the actors - the tv programme came out soon after I heard about her diaries - I wrote a post in 2017 about a diary exhibition where she featured. She wrote in code! So pleased you've enjoyed the series. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does sound interesting, but I have no way to watch HBO. There are like three shows I watch these days and one of them is ending soon, so I can't help you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like that might be interesting. And the topic is one that needs some attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fascinating show. The LGBT community has been around for all of human history. We just don't tend to see their stories. It's nice when we get a glimpse of life in other centuries.

      Delete
  8. Sorry, no suggestions. I watch some national news, some Jeopardy, and coverage of the J6 hearings. And also my secret (not secret anymore!) addiction; two "judge" shows. Your show sounds interesting but I don't have HBO or any other premium channel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem with these kinds of recommendations. Alas, I have nothing to recommend that's on broadcast TV at this moment in time.

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed the Bosch series (although I still have the last one to watch). It's hard to recommend stuff, because I have no idea what you get! I'm currently rewatching Burn Notice (which is on Disney+ in Australia).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.