Thursday, July 7, 2022

Surprise A

On the penultimate day of summer school, I gave the students a figure-out-your-grade assignment. I wanted them to spend some time looking at how not doing the work (or doing the work) impacted their final point total.

Well, actually, I needed them to work on something while I was calling them up and individually having them do their post assessment reading. (Yes, I gave them busy work.) 

After everyone had done their reading, I went through the assignment to see what everyone had come up with. 

There was a note from Delilah. "I don't know if my grade is an A I don't think I added right?" 

I glanced at her totals. The A looked reasonable. She had turned in most of her work. 

After calculating their grade, I had questions for them to answer. First I asked if the grade surprised them and if they were happy with it. Delilah: "I'm happy about it but I don’t think I calculated right?". 

Then I asked what they could do to improve their grade. Delilah: "Calculate correctly, I think i'm just saying this because I never had an A in english!"

She did, indeed, have an A in English. (I double checked with a calculator while writing this post. Yup, it's an A.) 

Alas, we weren't assigning grades for the summer school. They got written progress reports. Having them calculate what their grade would have been was more so they'd get an object lesson in what doing or not doing their work nets them grade-wise. 

But they did get bragging rights. Delilah could totally tell her parents that she got an A in English in the summer. Just because it wasn't recorded anywhere doesn't mean it doesn't count. (It's not like middle school grades remain on their transcripts anyway.) 

17 comments:

  1. Nice job Delilah for calculating correctly. Nice job teacher on teaching actions/consequences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, the ones who would have most benefitted (those that didn't do any work) didn't do the assignment, so they missed the lesson. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. This might come off the wrong way, but if you have an opportunity, you may want to keep an eye out for similar behaviors with Delilah. Speaking purely on what I read, it sounds like she potentially has developing anxiety and is seeking reassurance to disuay those feelings. I did similar things as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a sub, I won't necessarily have those kinds of opportunities, but if I run across her in the school year in a class of a teacher I know, I'll pass along the message.

      Delete
  3. If you put in the effort, you should get an A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for Delilah! It must have been her summer school teacher! She can't say she "never gets A's in English" anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't me. She actually did her work. Hopefully she'll learn that's a good thing.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like that will help built some confidence for her next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s a great exercise for the students to do. It gives them a sense that they earn their grade. Who knows how many students think they got a bad grade because their teacher disliked them

    ReplyDelete
  7. She mysy have been happy. I would want to know my grade even if it didn't count

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say she must... I'm writing this on my little phone

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.