Wednesday, July 27, 2022

The Last Movie Stars

I've kind of been scrambling, trying to figure out what to feature this week on my Wednesday What to Watch. I've pretty much talked about everything I've seen (that I'm willing to recommend). I mean, I'm watching a couple of other things, but I'm more in the meh camp on them (or I've already discussed them in previous years). 

Then, on Saturday, I started The Last Movie Stars on HBO Max. And this seems to be about my speed right now.

Ethan Hawke explains everything in the trailer: 

(If you didn't watch the trailer, Hawke explains that there were a series of interviews Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward had done in the '80s. The tapes were burned. But, they were transcribed first. So, he got his famous friends to read the transcripts for the show.) 

So far, I'm only two episodes in, but it's fascinating. (And it's the perfect thing to watch while I'm untangling yarn. That's a whole 'nother story.) It's a great behind-the-scenes view of a famous couple.

I hope everyone is finding interesting things to watch.

10 comments:

  1. Perhaps I should write a blog post about my several stabs at not owning a TV. I think the longest stretch was eight months. It was interesting (and done long ago).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of these crazy people. I don't get it.
      (But then again, I don't have to. If you don't want a TV and don't watch TV, that's cool. I, personally, need the background noise and distraction at various times during the day. It kind of grounds me.)

      Delete
  2. I do like a good documentary, but I do not have HBO Max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem with streaming recommendations. I was going to let my HBO Max subscription expire, but I find I watch it a lot.

      Delete
  3. Don't really know Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, so that's probably not for me (not that we'd have that here anyway). I'm currently watching the 3rd season of Blown Away (a Netflix original glass blowing competition show, but it's not one of the nasty ones). I definitely recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've skipped around a bit on this mutli-part doc. Eps 1 and 3 I've watched thus far. I have to say that I forgot how beautiful Newman was. (Also forgot about the infidelity.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I knew about the infidelity. I was surprised that I've seen a couple of the lesser known movies.

      Delete
  5. I heard a review on this, on news.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I would watch this on a heartbeat. They had a good marriage despite his infidelity which is a shame. Too bad they burned the tapes. Joanne is still alive but has dementia which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but they have the transcripts. You might want to look into HBO for just this.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.