Thursday, January 18, 2018

Missing Supplies and Stuck


Middle school "home arts". Apparently, that's what we used to call "home economics".

The end of the semester is fast approaching. The kiddos were given a huge study guide to prepare. Unless they still had to finish their sewing project.

Alas, no sewing machines. They were sewing by hand. But these were small projects. They were making stuffed plush toys.

They had had a choice. I saw a cute star with a sleeping cap, fuzzy dice, a crescent-shaped moon with star, and a football (among other cute projects).

One boy found his football, but for some reason he couldn't find his needle, thread, or other accessories. Although, the football looked pretty complete to me. He said it wasn't. (It's possible that he still needed to sew up the spot where he had stuffed the thing, but I didn't see that gap.)

He got out some scissors and started "trimming" the fur. Which, considering that the teacher hadn't graded the thing yet, probably wasn't making the best use of his time. I said as much.

He whined that he couldn't find his stuff. I suggested that maybe he should work on his study guide and ask his teacher where his missing stuff was when she returned. But he's a middle school boy. He wasn't going to listen to reason.

Nope. He spent the period playing with footballs. (His plush one and the real one he had come into class with.)

And yet, the rest of the class managed to retrieve all their stuff and work. Or they were working on the study guide.

Well, there's always that one...

16 comments:

  1. And also not smart enough to ask to borrow someone's needle and thread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish now that I had taken sewing in high school. Middle School didn't offer 'home ec' or any other such thing. -can't sew to save my life, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad it isn't more prevalent. I bet there's a sewing class through your city's parks and rec, though. I know they exist that way.

      Delete
  3. I remember a jerk who was nearly always paired with me for home ec duo projects because, apparently, I kept him better on track or something. ~shudders~ So glad I survived school. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes. I'm sorry. Maybe he liked you. Or the teacher couldn't find anyone else to work with him.

      Delete
  4. *shakes head* I remember in middle school we had to sew a little pillow by hand. The star one sounds cuter!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a pillow in jr. high home ec., too. But we got to use machines :)

      Delete
  5. I bet even if he had the needle and thread he wouldn't have done any actual work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With a needle and thread, he might've ended up sewing the two footballs together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sewing projects sound fun. A lot better than the apron I had to sew in my 7th grade home ec class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An apron? Yikes. That's a boring project. Sorry.

      Delete
  8. Amazing how they change class name. It was home ec and when my son was in high school it was called teen living. Although they just took the cooking part.
    Now I wonder how many high school might even teach sewing. I know one of my daughter in law mention that they were no sewing machine in high school. She now in her early 30's
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just knew you were going to say that the stuffed one he had just sewn fell apart on him because he was being too rough with it, before it even got graded.

    Well, what can you do? Middle schoolers are going to do what they are going to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, he wasn't being rough with it. Surprising.

      Delete
  10. "He wasn't going to listen to reason." That describes a lot of people, I think.

    Those sound like fun sewing projects. It's nice that they get to choose what to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought so. It's more interesting if they get to pick what they're going to end up taking home.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.