Thursday, January 4, 2018

The Bickersons


We're still on winter break. School starts back on Monday. I've been holding my posts from the week before the break until when school starts up again. So, for today it's time for another #ThrowbackThursday. This post is from January 20, 2012

Today I covered 8th grade science. The teacher has been out all week (his son's been sick). Today ended up being a finish-yesterday's-assignment day (I guess yesterday's sub made a mess of things...).

I explained what needed to get done to each class. Then I sat back and waited for where my presence was needed. In 3rd period, I didn't have to go far.

A boy and a girl sat at the table right next to the teacher's table. Everything started innocuously enough. The girl hid the boy's reading book. When the boy didn't notice its absence, the girl pointed out that he was missing something.

8th grade science is physical science. The class was doing work related to the periodic table. The boy and girl were on task. The girl had some questions.

I showed the girl where she could find what state each element was in (at room temperature) on the periodic table. She then checked for each element on the assignment. The boy made fun of her for double checking.

Chlorine? The boy knew that was liquid. He was wrong: gas. The girl then went after the boy for being wrong. Actually, she went after him for being wrong about everything. (For the record, he wasn't. He was wrong about half the time. She was wrong the other half.)

There was bickering over why she needed a new saxophone. The boy was shocked that the girl wasn't sure that copper was a metal (she was double checking, she said). And on it went.

I asked them if they bickered like that every day. I wouldn't think a teacher would put two people next to each other who irritated each other so much.

(I considered telling them to date and get it over with, but that only leads to vehement denials. I know this. From experience.)

It was kind of entertaining to watch. Does that make me a bad person?

Sadly, I have no idea if these two ended up dating. They would have graduated in 2016. (And I don't recall who they were even if this was recent enough for me to be able to find them again.) Ah well. 

17 comments:

  1. Aw! So sad you don't know if they ever dated. I am surprised the teacher left them sitting next to one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing him, he might have found it entertaining.

      Delete
  2. LOL I bet they were good friends that did have a good chance of becoming more later on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wouldn't surprise me if those two did end up as an item at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound like brother and sister to me!

    That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's pretty funny. Too bad you can't track them down to find out if they got together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rather used to not knowing how the story turns out. It's a hazard of the job.

      Delete
  6. I have a 9 yr old grandson and a 17 yr old grandson (brothers) that seem to LOVE to bicker! The 17 yr old knows that he can get the 9 yr old started and he plays on it. It is so crazy that kids love to bicker. Wonder if that is something they pick up at home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. Some people just like to irritate others.

      Delete
  7. Oh my...well, one day you will get invited to their wedding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it. *whispers--I don't even remember who these students were.../whisper

      Delete
  8. Hey, you had to be entertained somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL that would be rather entertaining in small doses.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.