Thursday, January 11, 2018

Gunning for Number 1


AP Calculus. It was the week before winter break. They had an assignment, but it was due upon their return from winter break, so they weren't doing it. Well, mostly not doing it. (A couple of them had books out.)

(I had the usual conversation with them. They were going to be busy being off, and they wouldn't even think about their homework until Saturday the 6th at the earliest. And it would be Sunday the 7th at 8 PM when they finally opened their backpacks and wondered about what homework they needed to do. They'd be up all night finishing work that they could have gotten done before the break.

This story is from a kid in a different calculus class a couple years prior. But I think it's likely what most of them do, so I pointed out that perhaps they should get some work done in class. Hey, at least I warned them.)

What did they do instead? Well, on Monday they debated who was ranked #1 in the junior class.

One of the girls in class was ranked #2. And she wanted to know who had the only GPA that was better than hers.

The class only had 13 students. (One was absent.) So, they all got into this discussion. Even the seniors. They posited ideas and shot them down. They knew it was no one in the class with them. (Apparently, they all knew each other's ranks.)

They thought it might be this one boy, but they had no way of checking. And apparently he wasn't telling.

The girl was trying to figure out how this boy could have beaten her. And how she could get a #1 ranking.

There are things to take into account. Certain classes are weighted, but one can't take a fully weighted schedule. (Things like P.E. and art classes aren't weighted but they are required.)

I'm not sure how, but this conversation took the whole period. And they resolved nothing. (Well, they did figure out #1 wasn't the boy they thought it might be.)

If you've ever wondered what it's like to be a fly on the wall around teenagers, kind of like this.

11 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I don't remember any of us in class back in the day wondering about that stuff. Hmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a specific concern. Only those who are within spitting distance of the top care.

      Delete
  2. Well, grades are the most important thing to them after all. I doubt they'd be in a calculus class (let alone an AP one) otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha....and you wonder how so many of them make it out in the world when they graduate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teens are different. Their brains are different. It's fascinating to watch them. I feel like an anthropologist sometimes.

      Delete
  4. You can't blame them for wanting to know, especially the girl in the #2 spot. If you're that close to the top I could see wanting to know who was at the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame them. I found the conversation fascinating.

      Delete
  5. Baffling. I was all about getting homework done in school if at all possible. So glad I'm done with that nonsense. ~grin~ Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, well... There are those that work in class. There are those that are "bored at home and need something to do". (Actual quote.)

      Delete
  6. #1 about what?? What’s the point of all of this?? I probably would have tried to work on some stuff but I would have been daydreaming about Christmas. I would have cracked open that book on a Sunday afternoon..yup that would have been me

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL yeah no one cared about that back in my school. I don't think it was even announced who ranked where.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.