Friday, October 5, 2012

Note Fake Out

I was warned to watch out for this 5th period algebra class. So, I did as I was told and kept a closer eye on them. They were talkative, but they stayed in their seats. They appeared to be working on their assignment.

The conversations went off topic. There was a huge debate over Spongebob Squarepants. Somehow this turned in to a discussion about cartoons.

I also got several math related questions.

All in all, it was not a bad class. Not ideal, but not terrible.

The only issue I had was with a student who left to use the restroom without permission. Long story.

At the end of the period, the class asked if I had written any names down. As I had (the restroom kid), I said yes. Then they all wanted to know if it was their name I had written down.

I know this is evil of me, but I didn't answer. And they all got really, really paranoid.

The class informed me of the consequence for having name-in-note (Saturday detention). I admit, I had fun watching them squirm. Suddenly, everyone was sure they had done something note-worthy.

I wonder what they think they did. As I wasn't lecturing, I wasn't concerned with the talking they did. They weren't even very loud. It's not like they didn't do as they were asked.

Am I terrible? Should I have let them off the hook and told them their names weren't in the note?

4 comments:

  1. Lol. If they were that paranoid about it, they probably deserved a little suspense. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you were terrible. I would've done the same thing. But maybe you shouldn't judge by me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little paranoia won't kill them. I'm sure they'll think twice about breaking a rule with you in the room next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A teacher has got to have some fun, doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.