It took longer than I anticipated. I made a few mistakes. But that just means the next one will be that much easier. I hope.
Here's what I learned along the way:
- Felting shrinks the knitted fabric. Quite a lot. More than I expected.
- But if something (like the closure) feels too long, it probably is
- Corollary to #2: Straps can never be long enough.
- While cutting out lining fabric before felting may seem like a good idea, see lesson #1.
- For sewn in pockets, smaller is better.
- Measure. Cut. Compare to knit bag. Then, sew. And compare to knit bag again.
- Sew right sides together, even for linings.
- Don't fret about the lining before going to bed. (You don't want to know what my dreams were like that night.)
Also, I'm over at the California Crafters Club of Etsy blog today. More green. Come on by and say hi.