Thursday, October 25, 2012

Dystopian Past?

Have you ever noticed how much "end of days" hype surrounds us? There's the Mayan calendar thing. It seems like every couple years there's some crackpot who claims the end is about to befall us. There's the stuff surrounding the beliefs about the Rapture (and those that are making money off of it). And of course there's all the dystopian fiction that seems to be popular.

It's Thursday, so I am going somewhere with this.

The other part of my pondering has to do with what is known as genetic memory. Basically, it's the idea that we retain a sense of what our ancestors went through, but not consciously. It's like we remember it in our bones.

What if all these feelings of an impending apocalypse are us accessing genetic memories of the past rather than predicting future events? 

Just a thought.

4 comments:

  1. Honestly, I've never been one to get too excited about these apocalypse predictions. If the end of the world comes while I'm on it, I'm not sure I'd be interested in trying to survive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea. Could make an interesting story...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm. Genetic memory. We imagine post-apocalyptic wastelands because we remember the difficulty of surviving long ago. I wonder if this thought could be applied to other genres, like if our interest in the paranormal is our perception of once more highly developed instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really interesting thought. and yet why would it be getting more and more popular now? Maybe we're coming up on the anniversary of some ancient apocalypse or something :)

    I don't believe in any of these end of days things either, though I can totally see a future where we mess with nature so much it spits us right back out :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.