Friday, March 9, 2012

In the Appendix

It was a fairly uneventful day at the continuation high school. Fridays are kind of like that. The only students who attend are the ones who were absent or tardy during the week.

The teacher left them an extra credit assignment. It was a list of different literary terms. They were to look them up in their textbook and then write out the definitions in their own words.

I've seen this assignment before. I explained it to the students.

"Look up the terms in the appendix in your textbook."

Student: "You mean the index?"

"No, appendix."

Student: "Isn't an appendix something that's in your body?"

I attempted to explain that some books may have an appendix as well, but at that point the student found the section with the literary terms, and the point was moot.

(I was just going to tweet this, but I couldn't figure out how to do it in 140 characters and have it make sense.)

I sense a migraine coming. I have new pills. Hopefully they'll help. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I hope they'll help too. No one wants a migraine ruining their weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.