Thursday, May 5, 2011

Late Start

I got a late call this morning. Very late. It was about midway through second period. 

(This means that the teacher called out late. This sort of thing has happened before. I learned later that today's teacher had been at school first period, but she left. General consensus said she didn't look good.) 

I was still in bed when I got the call. Not asleep, but not dressed. It takes me about an hour from phone call to arrival at school (when I'm hurrying). Since I subbed for this same teacher last week, I knew that we were on her prep period, and I would arrive just at the beginning of third period. 

I missed roughly the first ten minutes of class (although, on Thursdays snack goes long, so I may have missed less). Roll had been taken, but the class wasn't in class mode. The teacher who covered the first 10 minutes left, and I went about introducing myself to the class. 

They all know me by now. I sub at this school so much, and I was just in this class last week. I started out by apologizing for arriving so late. They asked if I had been in bed when I got the call. 

I could have lied. I didn't. I told them that if I don't have to get up, I can sleep as late as noon. 

They all nodded their heads at this. They would have rather been in bed, too. 

They seemed impressed by my admission. They were less pleased when I insisted they get to work. 

(I also did a post today over here. Please stop by and check it out.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.