Friday, January 21, 2011

A Very Late Call

It was later in the morning, way past the danger zone, so I was lying in bed watching TV (a NOVA from my DVR--"The Race for Absolute Zero"). My cell phone rang. No one ever calls me on my cell phone, so I knew it had to be the sub caller. Did she have an assignment for me for Monday? That had to be it.

"Are you available to work today?"

Today? Really?

It was third period. It takes me about an hour from phone call to arrival at school. That meant that the earliest I could get there was after fourth period had started (for a six period day).

I mentioned this to the sub caller. She asked if I would rather not do it. No, I wanted to work, but I didn't want the school thinking I'd get there in 20 minutes (almost possible only if I had been fully dressed and ready to walk out the door that instant). My hour time frame was considered acceptable.

When I got to the school, I expected that the teacher would have already left. Turns out her appointment (for an ongoing issue) was later, so she had plenty of time to brief me before she had to go.

I covered 2 1/2 periods of middle school science. The classes had standardized tests to take (I've proctored them before, so I knew the drill).

It turned out to be the perfect assignment for me today, especially since I'm getting over a cold. I got to sleep in and work a shorter day.

1 comment:

  1. That does sound like a dream assignment. Did you get paid for a full or half day? In my district, it's always full day, but I know other districts work differently.

    Hope you're better now.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.