Friday, May 20, 2011

Extra Credit

It's Friday and I was back at the continuation high school. Yep, I'm there a lot. But Friday is the day to be there.

The students were supposed to be working on anything they hadn't finished this week. For those whose work was up-to-date there was an extra credit crossword puzzle. The lesson plan described it thusly: "Crosswords are officially just extra-credit, but you don't have to tell them that."

I walked around the room, giving crossword puzzles to students who had no other work. One girl was about to refuse the paper, but first she asked, "Is that worth credit?"

I debated and decided on the truth: "It's extra credit."

Girl: "Oh, okay then. I want it."

Something similar happened two other times. So, just when I thought telling them that it was extra credit was the way to go, I got another student who decided against doing the puzzle just because it was extra credit.

But it was Friday, so we got out early. Yeah.

2 comments:

  1. That's strange that someone wouldn't want a crossword puzzle because it was "extra credit". I always did anything that was worth "extra credit" because it helped act as a cushion for "tests" so that you could get a few answers wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There seems to be a need for a lot of negotiation with high school students these days. I don't remember a lot of extra credit. But then again I don't remember talking back to teachers either. Different times!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.