Thursday, March 2, 2023

Switcheroo

Thursday, and I had taken a gig at the alternative education center. This time I had the math and science classes. The day was going about how I expected with them sort of doing the work. 

Third period. Business math. We were getting started, but things were going sideways. I was getting ready to go over how to do simple interest with them (and probably do the assignment with them) when the door opened and the principal arrived.

Mrs. V shooed the kiddos out of the room. Then she turned to me.

The alternative education center and the adult transition center both share facilities. They are technically different schools with different hours, but they are right next to each other. Mrs. V oversees both.

Ms. J at the adult transition center was throwing up and needed to go home. They had called for another sub, but at this point in the day, they weren't going to get anyone else. 

They needed to switch me to the other school.

Well, one must be flexible when one is a substitute teacher...

So, not quite halfway through my day, I switched campuses entirely. Kind of.

(This is not the first time I had to go to a different campus midday, but it wasn't really a different campus.) 

And my day went considerably easier than it looked like it was going to go at the beginning of third period. I had Sydney and Logan who I had had last school year in Ms. S's class. I knew the other students just from them being around last school year. 

The rest of the day was pretty mellow.

While I felt a bit bad for abandoning Mr. O's class (the class I agreed to), it wasn't like I had chosen to make this switch. It was thrust upon me.

12 comments:

  1. So who covers the other class? Sounds like a round of musical chairs in the sub businees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sent the students to the other two teachers. I think. Not ideal, obviously.

      Delete
  2. Wow...I would feel like a ping pong ball. At least the class was ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sort of thing happens sometimes. I like the variety, so I consider it a perk. (I know people who would hate this. That's why they don't stick with subbing.)

      Delete
  3. At least the switch would be fairly easy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a building sub this happens to me all the time. A teacher throwing up is a common reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can't predict these things. And obviously she should have gone home.

      Delete
  5. I've worked several times over the years as an office temp (what they used to call a "Kelly Girl") so I enjoy change but your job has Change with a capital C. At least this one worked out well. Mellow work days are good days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That company actually hired subs, too. I think it was just for private schools. Early on, I looked into office temping, and when they saw I worked as a sub, they told me about subbing in schools for them, too.

      Delete
  6. You always seem to pivot so effortlessly. I would need a glass of wine after that kind of day. Lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The class I ended up in was easy, much easier than where I started. So, it was a win for the day as far as I was concerned.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.