Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Added Expenses

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder.

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news.

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉 

As with the question from two weeks ago, this week's question is stolen from conversations I've seen on social media.

What if your best friend chose to have a destination wedding, but you absolutely could not afford to go? (The friend is close enough that you've also been asked to be in the wedding. You would have accepted, and might have already, until you found out that it wouldn't be local.)

11 comments:

  1. I would just tell them so. That's how it is with destination weddings. Not everyone can afford to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard question. I don't know. It is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd tell them thank you, but no. If they sprung the location after my accepting to be in the wedding, I'd still tell them "no." I read so many couples are doing these expensive destination weddings, and then being testy when people don't come! There are so many better uses for thousands of dollars than someone else's wedding! Of course, I believe there are so many better uses for tens of thousands of dollars than for a wedding, even you own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would tell them no. It's on them if they didn't give me this fact before I accepted. Regular out of town wedding expenses are bad enough for attendees and for anyone to not know a destination wedding is beyond the budget of many especially in this financial climate is pretty clueless, in my book.Sad that there are a lot of clueless people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If one can't afford something or don't want to do something. No shouldn't be a guilt word.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say…sorry but I can’t go. Simple. Funny, I was the maid of honour for a friend of mine back in 2004. We went to the Dominican…it was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why my name doesn’t appear. This happened ever since I got my new iPad..it’s Birgit

      Delete
    2. Are cookies enabled? I found that when I couldn't get out of anonymous territory, it was due to the cookies. Don't worry too much about it. You're not the only one Blogger's updates threw into anonymous territory.

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't go. I hate wedding anyway :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just say no. I would. Nothing much else you can do if you can't afford to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't go. I'd rather use the money for something more important than spend it on someone else's wedding.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.