Thursday, March 9, 2023

Not His Seat

On Tuesday for my extra period assignment, I was sent to an English class that I had covered before. But luckily it wasn't for the period with fake Evan.

They had just finished reading Lord of the Flies, and their assignment was to make a slideshow summarizing each of the chapters. 

But before I could settle in to the period, I had to take roll.

Because eighth graders will try the seat swap, I call out the names of students I am marking absent.

"Jasper."

He was on the other side of the room. 

When I questioned him on why he was not in his assigned seat, he explained that the teacher had moved him because he talked too much in the other seat. 

This did not pass the smell test:

  1. He was sitting in the middle of a group of African-American students. He's also Black. 
  2. His assigned seat was in the middle of not Black students. 
  3. He was clearly "hanging out" with the group he was sitting with.
  4. The girl whose name was on that seat was sitting nearby (rather than having traded seats with him). 

I insisted that Jasper move back to the other seat. After some back and forth (and the threat of a referral), Jasper finally relented. And the girl whose seat he had taken got her seat back (much to her relief). 

Did he do his work? No. Did he talk to that group of students on the other side of the room? Of course.

I'll take the victories where I can.

Because Jasper gave me that much trouble about sitting in his assigned seat, I made sure he had a starring role in my note to his teacher. And because I email my notes to the teachers nowadays, the teacher replied.

She absolutely had not moved him. And she was not pleased with his lie. 

I wonder how upset with me Jasper will be the next time he sees me. I hope he learned his lesson and will sit where he's supposed to.

15 comments:

  1. Oh he's 100% going to blame you for his getting in trouble. You know, for his own lie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man....they keep trying think you never heard they one before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the age. They think that they've invented everything. They don't realize we've all seen it before.

      Delete
  3. It's like scammers, they must get some success somewhere for them to persistently try. Not your first rodeo though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jasper prob will not be a happy camper the next time you meet, problem is, he should have been doing what he was supposed to be doing all along. KIDS! Of course, chances are, he will never see or admit his fault in any of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but I'm okay with him hating me. It means I did something right.

      Delete
  5. This is me, thecontemplativecat. Oh, Jasper. Maybe someday he will take his skills to the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully he keeps lying as badly as this ;)

      Delete
  6. The lying conniving little "s##ts, always pushing boundaries, see how far they can get with the sub.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regis who I help. Lord of the flies is one of his fav books.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.