Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Reruns

We have reached the part of the year where I've done it all before, and now I get to do it again. Last week I had a lot of repeat performances. 

(Besides the English class I talked about last week, I also revisited the Spanish class, English at the continuation high school, the middle school English class with Nash, and the computer class that I period subbed at least three different times.) 

I had just covered this English class the previous Thursday. (The English teachers were scoring a district writing thing all the students have to do. Ms. V teaches three different grade levels, so she's out three different days for this.) So, I knew what to expect. 

First period. English 11. They were doing a blackout poem

They were using an Amanda Gorman poem as a base. They were to black out many of the words, making a new poem out of the few words they chose. Then they create a picture that serves as the thing that hides the rest of the words they're not using. (Look for examples online. It's an interesting exercise.) 

I passed out the poem they were using, and then, as the teacher instructed, I warned them that they'd only get one copy, so they needed to be careful.

Jaliyah approached. 

(I've had Jaliyah in various classes many times over the years. She's a good kid.)

Jaliyah asked if she could go and make copies, because, "I know I'm going to mess it up," and she wanted to take out some insurance. 

Other students realized this was a good idea, so Jaliyah returned with multiple copies, distributing them around. She kept two for herself. 

And they all worked quietly for the rest of the period. (Seriously, this happens a lot. I don't write about these classes much as, "they worked quietly" doesn't make for an interesting blog post.)

14 comments:

  1. I think blackout, or any form of found poetry, are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jailyah seemed to have more forethought than the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you've never been in a middle school class as an adult. I can tell. You don't know how they'll make one little error and need a whole new sheet of paper. And they don't think when they start to work, so they'll change their minds halfway through.

      Only giving them one page is a way to make them think and plan before they start. They may be 11th graders, but some behaviors don't really go away.

      And besides, school district. Limited budget. She only has so much money she can spend on copies in a given school year.

      Delete
  3. Blackout poetry sounds quite creative and innovative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely get needing screw-up insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. And then the very next day at a different school, they were also doing blackout poetry. I think they all got together and planned.

      Delete
  6. Blackout poetry. Never heard of it. It sounds like fun and something I would have enjoyed as a teenager. But I don't remember doing it in school (or anywhere).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did it, either. It's a newer activity for them.

      Delete
  7. Worked quietly. Wow. I didn't think that ever happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens quite often, actually. They just don't make for interesting blog posts.

      Delete
  8. Susan here from thecontemplativecat. I used "The Great Kapok Tree" for their writing. By eliminating the boring words and focusing on the words that gave them pictures in the minds--Got some great 3rd gr. stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did they get to decorate the page, too? That part looks like fun, but I would have hated it at their age.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.