Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Things That Worry Me

The first Campaign challenge is up. I plan to get to it, but I'm going to need some time to ponder before I submit anything.

So, for today, I'm doing another repost Tuesday. I stumbled across this in my files, and considering the anniversary is this coming weekend, I thought this post was kind of apropos. It was originally posted on October 30, 2006.  


So today I was in this AVID class (Advancement Via Individual Determination) and they had this interview assignment. They were supposed to talk about some historical event. It was a strange assignment, but it's not my job to judge. I just had to make sure they were doing it.

Anyway, two of them looked over at me. They wanted to know when 9/11 was.

Let me repeat, they wanted to know when 9/11 was.

My reply: "September 11th."

That's when they clarified.

One said it was in 2003 and the other was going for 2004. When I informed them that it had happened in 2001 they wanted to make sure that I was sure. I was sure.

This kind of disturbed me. I had to remind myself that I was dealing with 7th graders--12-year-olds. They were in 2nd grade when it happened. When I was that age I probably would have had trouble with such dates, right? Right?

4 comments:

  1. OH COME ON!

    Other than that, no comment.

    Can't wait to see your Campaign piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geez. That's like in "Little Rascals" when the kid yells, "Quick! What's the number for 9-1-1?"

    Actually, it's incredibly similar. Same numbers and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of entries thus far. I've had to organize 250 of them and assign judges. Trying to stay on top of them has been challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if they were in second grade when it happened that you could probably cut them a little slack as far as not knowing the year.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.