Saturday, September 3, 2011

Math Time Fillers for Real

Yesterday, Liz Fichera's blog got me thinking. She talked about the various keywords that brought visitors to her blog. Occasionally (okay, about once a week), I check my stats, and two keywords come up with alarming regularity: Baby Bridges and Math Time Fillers.  

The "Baby Bridges" post describes the game pretty well, but the "Math Time Fillers?" post isn't helpful at all. I thought I should change that.  

The one math time filler I use frequently is Chocolate Math. The link explains the thing really well. I often use it in middle school classes when the students finish all their work quickly. I usually end up explaining it two or three times as the kiddos seem to enjoy it.  

A really good site for various classroom activities is Substitutes, FTW! She has a whole category of math activities.  

The other thing I notice in my stats? The post "Oops" continues to be really popular, especially with spammers. I have no idea why.  

Have you tried Chocolate Math before? Know any other good math games?  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Liz! Thanks for the link.

    I have not tried Chocolate Math before but suffice it to say, given my chocolate cravings, I will be checking this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even heard of these fillers. But that Chocolate Math one sounds interesting.

    Oh, yes, you've been given an award. Pop over to my bloog and see. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shoutout! LOL, I've never heard of baby bridges.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.