Monday, July 19, 2010

Gun-Shy

Back in the '80s when I was a teenager, we took a family vacation to Las Vegas.  It was spring.  There was a cold wind constantly blowing, and it was very dry.  Soon after arriving, everything I touched gave me an electric shock.

I could not touch anything.  Every door bit me.  Elevator buttons were treacherous.  If there was metal on it, I was going to be stung.

Ever since then, I get wary whenever it gets too dry.  I'm still cautious picking up cans in the grocery store.  I hesitate at doors.  It's better when I haven't been shocked in a while (like now), but after one shock, I'm careful for days.

On Friday I got a call from the district.  Was I available from Monday, July 19th to Tuesday, July 27th?  It wasn't until I got off the phone that I realized that there was something wrong with that assignment.  The continuation high school is starting school this week, but the first day of school is not on a Monday.

The first day can be Tuesday, Thursday, or even Wednesday.  But it's never Monday.  I was called on Friday, but I couldn't call the school to find out what was going on because no one was at the school.

There was nothing for it.  I had to go in even though I was pretty sure I was going to get stung.

Well, of course no one knew why I was there.  I had figured it right.  Today was the teacher check in day--no students.  As no one knew why I was there, I turned around and went home.

After I got home, I got a call from the school.  Actually, it hadn't been a mistake.  They wanted me there so that I could talk to the teacher who was going to be out (she's having surgery).  Could I come back?

(The principal and principal's secretary aren't there first thing in the morning.  They stay late because of reentry and the adult school.  But they hadn't left word with the staff that is there first thing in the morning that I would be coming in.)

I turned around and went back.

The point of all of this is that I'm back to work.  Sort of.  I'll have new stories.  Did I mention--I'll be covering the opportunity class?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.