Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Discombobulated

Today went sideways right from the start.

I was scheduled to cover an English teacher.  I wasn't looking forward to it. His students don't like him, so they tend to take this out on me.  Since I was dreading the day, I got up early (5:30 AM) to get going.  I had made my bed and put in my contact lenses when my phone rang.

The sub caller wanted to change my assignment.  Cool.  Then she told me she wanted me to cover the reentry class (which didn't start until the afternoon). Uh, okay.  But it would have been nice if she had called me before I made my bed.

I took out my contacts, unmade my bed, and tried to fall asleep.  I got in a couple more hours.  I got up, had breakfast, and then it was time to get ready. Then I noticed my cell phone had a message on it (I could not hear my cell phone ring from the kitchen).  

Turned out I was supposed to get to school 45 minutes earlier than the sub caller had said, and there was no way that I was going to get there.  So, I called the school back to say that I would be running late.

The reentry class went smoothly.  Reentry is an afternoon class for young adults who did not graduate when they should have.  The continuation high school "super seniors" (5th year seniors) end up here.  They tend to be motivated, especially at this time of year.  

They were working.  I was correcting papers.  Then I felt a little jolt.  And a rumble.  I looked at the aide.  She looked at me.  We looked out at the class. We waited.  It didn't get any worse.  Whew!  Small earthquake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.