Sunday, May 17, 2009

A New One

I've lived in Southern California all my life.  I'm used to earthquakes.  I've been through them at home and at work.  High school was punctuated by many earthquakes (aftershocks of a larger quake).  So, I thought I had experienced all there was to experience in an earthquake.  I was wrong.

I was in the shower when this one struck.  I had conditioner in my hair.  I had soap all over my face.  That's when the first rumble started.  And I realized that I didn't have a contingency plan for this situation.  

First there was a small rumble.  Then there was a jolt and everything really started shaking.  The shower doors rattled.  My shower head shifted to the right.  And I might have run from the shower except I was all soapy.  Ick.

It was all over in moments, so I finished up my shower.  Then I surveyed the damage.  A picture fell from a shelf (but did not break).  I had a bottle fall from my medicine cabinet when I opened it.  All my drawers had opened one inch.  And various items had fallen over.  So, no damage.  No damage except my nerves.  

We haven't had all that many earthquakes lately.  But it all comes back to you when one hits.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.