Friday, April 26, 2024

Worrisome Information

I got my door lock fixed! Finally.

(ICYMI: The lock on the inside of my car, driver's side door, broke one day. It's been months, but I finally found someone to fix it. As it turns out, the school where I'm doing my long-term gig has an auto shop. They took a look at the lock, recommended the part they'd need to fix it, and I ordered it. When I picked it up, I fell. So, this has been an ongoing ordeal for me. But it's finally over.)

Wednesday. I dropped off my car at the side gate of the school (rather than parking my car in the parking lot), and I went about my day as normal. At the end of the day, Mr. A, the auto shop teacher, informed me that things weren't quite all good. It took him a bit to get my car door put back together.

My car is thirty-one years old. Students were working on the fix. While the lock mechanism was fine, my door lock is showing its age. And now I can again lock my door from the inside.

But that was not what was worrisome...

Thursday. Fifth period.

The students were entering the room. Adriel passed by me. 

"I put the lock in your car." 

I really, really hope my face went blank, because my mind was whirling. 

I mean, it's okay, right? I had driven my car home. I worked the lock. The lock worked. It was okay...

Just because Adriel doesn't do math doesn't mean he's a terrible auto shop student, right? Right?!?

(I checked. He has an A in auto shop.) 

I mean, I agreed to have the students work on my car. I trust that Mr. A didn't leave them in incapable hands. He supervised. 

It's okay. It's fine. 

(I've been driving my car for days since then. The lock works. It's fine. It's fine!)

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

the letter W rendered in knitting

24 comments:

  1. Ah, the mantra, not everyone is an expert in everything ... and I need to respect them in their area of high performance. Really hard when they don't look like adults yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish he wasn't so immature in class. But alas...

      Delete
  2. I understand your concern but it turned out just fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did. It's been over a week, and my car is fine.

      Delete
  3. Trusting people is sometimes a bad thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I trusted the teacher, and he should be trustworthy.

      Delete
  4. LOL. I hear you on this one. So loudly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been much happier not knowing, because my car is actually fine right now.

      Delete
  5. Your reaction is hilarious, though. I'd probably react the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I really should have expected this. I did see Adriel was in auto shop.

      Delete
  6. Getting an A in math wouldn't make him BETTER at fixing cars, so failing it doesn't mean anything either. It's not like you're having him work on your taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad he has a talent! Even if he never does well in academic classes, we always need people to work on our cars! He'll be okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure he'll be okay. It just worries me when I had to take a marker from him about 20 minutes ago (they're taking a test) because I've caught him throwing markers at other students in the past.

      Delete
  8. So, he has a history of misbehavior. And he knew he was repairing your car. Yeah, I'd be feeling a bit weird, too, especially given the immaturity of that age. But maybe look on the bright side. Auto shop is his talent, and maybe he'll be working on your car one day after graduation at a non school auto shop. And he probably would have forgotten all about you by then. He's found something he apparently loves and gets good grades in. It's fine. It's fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hope he loves auto shop. I don't know if that necessarily means that's his future, but perhaps he enjoys it enough that he likes doing a good job on things.

      Delete
  9. glad you got that fixed. 31 yrs old? Really, wow, that is amazing in itself. LOL....Cars don't usually give that much and I will tell you that if you bought a new one now, and paying what you would pay, it would not last you that long. As for math....look, I was told we would use it all our lives, and yes we do.....but seriously in my life, I never saw a reason to use X minus Y equals anything....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't drive much. I probably should have replaced the car long ago, but I haven't.

      Delete
  10. Good. Your students must have added the ingredient of love too into their work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering how he spent all period yesterday throwing pencils, I rather doubt that.

      Delete
  11. Hi Liz - sounds like Adriel knows a thing or two about cars and mechanics - that's good for him. I'm pleased your car is fixed and you feel comfortable with it too - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. A good outlet for Adriel instead of throwing pencils! I'm sure it's fine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My hubby, who has severe ADHD, was not good in the classroom but he excelled in shop and cars etc... he can build anything, fix anything he is quite intelligent but the rote schooling didn't work for him. Back in the day they called him slow which he wasn't. It's much better now. I bet the kid likes working on cars etc..and feels overwhelmed by school so he goofs off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, you tried it, and it works. It should be fine... ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.