Thursday, April 18, 2024

Performance Review, Part 2

I have a terrible memory for students sometimes. But that's a good thing as if I don't remember being irked by them, then the next time I see them they have a brand new chance with me.

I've been covering Mr. J's classes for just over a month now. It was just this last week, on Thursday, that I realized that I had met Nadine in period five before.

And, the only reason it came up was because of a different student in a completely different period.

Ava's not been showing up to class, when she does she's late, and she hasn't been doing the work. Unsurprisingly, she's got an F in math. I went to look at her grades in her other classes, and I was not shocked to find that math is not the only class she's failing. 

That's when I noticed that Ava has Mr. M for history period six. 

And I vividly recall getting a dressing down the day that I covered Mr. M's sixth period class

Some more backtracking, and I found Nadine's name. And yup, Nadine's in Mr. J's fifth period. 

Until that moment, I hadn't connected Nadine to the incident. I mean, I remember the incident. I just didn't recall the student who had told me I was a terrible sub who didn't do her job and that she'd get her mother to complain if I wished to take things further.

Will I remember Nadine after this? Likely. 

But Nadine's been keeping a low profile in math class. (It helps that fifth period is co-taught. Having another teacher who's been around since the beginning of the year keeps most of the students honest.) 

Curious, I checked Nadine's grades. Yup, she has an F in math and in history, too.

Figures.

A part of me is curious as to whether Nadine thinks I'm doing my job now. But I'm not going to ask. I don't really want to know.

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

the letter P rendered in knitting

13 comments:

  1. I refreshed my memory from rereading your other post. At least you got a good "P" post out of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two P posts ;) And I got my revenge. I told the co-teacher all about it :)

      Delete
  2. Maybe she received a dressing down of her own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing the opinion of someone like Nadine wouldn't have much value. Sad when kids are flunking classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thecontemplativecat here. Oh, Nadine. I had students like your Nadine. I foresee negative job offers here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Nadine's mother HAD come in to talk to you maybe she'd know how poorly Nadine was doing. So easy to blame the subs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I covered her class for one day, I wasn't in any position to talk about her grades. Perhaps that's why she felt safe in that talk.

      Delete
  6. Yes, that's the kind of situation you remember ;) And for her, it's easier to blame the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nadine seems to be worth taking up as a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helping her learn? Sure. I'm not going to do battle with her mother, though.

      Delete
  8. I wonder what her mother would really think. Fingers crossed, she is wiser than her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good question. I'm rather afraid to find out. (They don't tend to invoke their mothers unless they're pretty confident their mothers will back them up.)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.