Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Moving for Love?


At the heart of much speculative fiction (and fiction in general) is a question. What if? On Tuesdays I like to throw one out there and see what you make of it. Do with it as you please. If a for-instance is not specified, feel free to interpret that instance as you wish. And if you find this becomes a novel-length answer, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements.
😉

Have you seen Soulmates on AMC? They take a what if: What if there was a test one could take that would match one to one's "soulmate"? Each episode in this anthology series then explores various instances of people taking that test. This is less of a light romantic series and more of a Twilight Zone show with a limited premise. 

It's an interesting show, especially for those of us who like speculative fiction. (If tempted, you can stream it here.) And this week I'm borrowing their premise for my what if. . .

What if you took the Soulmates test to find your soulmate. . . and your soulmate lived on the other side of the world? Would you consider moving to be with them? Or would you expect them to come to you? (If you are already in a happy relationship, you can be exempt from today's question. Although, those in happy relationships on the show have taken the test. Let's just say things don't turn out as they'd expect.) 

16 comments:

  1. I didn't move for love, but I did travel thousands of miles for lust. Was it worth it? Yes?

    I wonder if I would (were I single) move across the globe for my 'soulmate'. That would be something I might seriously consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm exempt today but it sounds like a show I would enjoy, I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really believe soul mates exist, so I don't think I'd believe the test in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am exempt but if I had nothing to lose and they lived in Europe, in the Alps, maybe. If they lived somewhere hot..nope....hahahaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so totally dependent on the location. Got it.

      Delete
  5. I am exempt. I didn't move for love but I married outside my religion, something that was not accepted in the early 1970's the way it is today, and I paid a price. But I don't regret it for a minute. So, what if my soulmate had been half a world away? Maybe it would depend what country he was in i.e. yes to Australia, no to, say, North Korea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, getting into North Korea would be hard. But I'd assume that they weren't permitting the test there, so you'd end up showing as having no match.

      Delete
  6. I have my soulmate, thankfully! Would I move around the world? Well, yes, in some ways we both moved together around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I'd bother. Takes the fun out of meeting someone and getting to know them. Puts the pressure on to prove the test was right, and you ARE their soul mate. Soul mates might not even be romantic partners. I don't believe we have one "soul mate" at all. If so, we'd never meet him or her, the world is too big. I'm retired, so moving for love is no big deal. I could easily do that. Just need to meet him first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in the series, they don't always end up with an HEA, so there is that.

      Delete
  8. I have a soul mate but if I didn't I probably wouldn't take the test, but this is me answering it at almost 63 years old. If I was younger, well maybe?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're in our 80's and if I think he needs the recliner more than I do at that moment, I'll move to the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's because I moved at the other side of the planet that I found my soulmate ;))

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.