Tuesday, February 19, 2019

A Time Traveler's House


At the heart of much speculative fiction (and fiction in general) is a question. What if? On Tuesdays I like to throw one out there and see what you make of it. Do with it as you please. If a for-instance is not specified, feel free to interpret that instance as you wish. And if you find this becomes a novel-length answer, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements. ðŸ˜‰

The clock in my bathroom is running slow. When I went from there into my bedroom, I lost two minutes I thought I had. (This is a huge deal for me first thing in the morning when I'm scrambling to leave on time.) And it got me to thinking...

What if every room in your house existed in a different time with respect to the outside? (Going from one room to another doesn't seem different, but each room could exist in a time bubble minutes, days, or years apart.)

(I know, I've sort of done this question before. But it was four and a half years ago, and today's iteration is slightly different.)

14 comments:

  1. Gosh, I wouldn't know whether I was coming or going. I could also go into another room and find out what the future holds or go to the past to fix a mistake..or buy the lotto

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would hope it would be minutes if it was to occur. That would be less confusing I think.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously I'd go into a room that's in the future and look up the lottery numbers, then memorize them for when I left the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once you figured it out, it could be interesting, but until then...CHAOS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would probably want to sleep in the room where time moved the most slowly. Yawn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, if I could go back to my thirties this way, I'd keep returning again and again. Heh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. Would your age change based on the time period of the room? I hadn't considered that...

      Delete
  7. Okay, just going to throw this out there~ It don't take much to confuse me and I really thing that would throw me over the top! haha...Course if one room was a time and or day I like I might just hold up in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes feel that way right now. This house is full of stuff from decades and decades past, so it's like walking back and forth on a timeline, depending on the spot in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting out of my house could be real dicey then. (4 rooms between my bedroom and side door. lol)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.