Thursday, March 29, 2018

Avoiding Class


Math class at the continuation high school. Earvin was in period three.

Class had barely started when Earvin asked to go and talk to the counselor.

I called, but I got her voicemail. I knew she was on campus, but if her voicemail was picking up, that meant she was busy. And I wasn't going to send a student to her office if she was occupied with something else. So, I told Earvin no.

That should have been the end of it. But this is Earvin we're talking about.

He wanted to talk to someone "in the office". I knew the principal was off campus. No other administrators were around. Only the secretaries and clerks were there. But Earvin insisted, so I called to ask if he could go.

No.

Earvin was on a mission. He wanted out of class. So, now he needed to go "work" in another class. Could he go to another room?

Okay, fine. Which class?

I called the teacher. He didn't want Earvin either. (I don't blame him. I wouldn't take him if he wasn't enrolled in my class.)

So, we're done, right? Earvin realized he was stuck and got to work, right? No, of course not. Earvin picked another teacher to try.

"Is he driving you crazy?"

Well, yeah, but that's normal. I can take it for a period. I didn't say this, however. I don't remember what I said. But this teacher said yes.

I did state that Earvin could remain with me. Earvin overheard and protested...

So, in the end Earvin got out of math class and went to PE instead. It calmed the room way down. (There was this girl chasing him, and he was running away...)

But I ran into the counselor later. She told me that Earvin has been "getting out of" math quite frequently lately. He doesn't seem to get on with the teacher. However, he's getting close to finishing, and math is one of the few subjects he needs to finish, so he needs to stay in class.

(Turns out that not having the counselor answer the phone worked in his favor, for she would have said that he shouldn't go anywhere.)

13 comments:

  1. Just sitting here wondering how you do this EVERY day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if there's something about finishing school that is freaking him out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually possible. Although, if you asked him, I don't think he'd admit to it.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I can understand wanting to get out of math class. I don't think I'd go to gym instead, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eavin has figured out the system, dang it. Could you get a list started of teachers who said "no"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is on the "floaters" list, meaning he's really not supposed to go anywhere. But he knows that pestering works.

      Delete
  5. I agree with all these comments. Thank you for your endeavors!

    Oh, and you'll be proud of me. I just posted how my concert went. And there is a picture of me *not* molesting the members of Palaye Royale. ~grin~ Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This boy sounds like a right pain. The counselor probably dreads hearing from him.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.