Friday, October 6, 2017

Cheer Fan


A middle school art class on a Friday. It didn't go that badly, considering.

Some kiddos are just oblivious. The bell had rung. I was trying to start class. But Andie wouldn't get in her seat until other students pointed out that that's what I was hinting at. By saying, "Okay, class, let's get started."

Yeah, Andie was an issue. And apparently a well-known one to her teacher. Mr. S had left names of those I should "keep an eye on". Her name was at the top.

On this day, Andie decided that she just had to watch the cheerleaders.

She was astounded by them. She could see them practicing though the window, but only if she was standing right in front of it. And she had to watch them.

I told her she could watch them after school. She complained they weren't going to be there after school.

I've been subbing a while. The cheerleaders practice in the same spot every day. And they continue to practice after school. They did this last year. They're doing the same thing this year.

While it may be the beginning of the school year, we're a good month in. Football season is well underway. I'm certain the cheerleaders have been there every other day that I wasn't the sub in this art classroom. So Andie's arguments don't hold water.

And yet she did everything she could to get back to that window at every opportunity.

Middle schoolers. They obsess about the strangest things.

20 comments:

  1. Tell her if she's so obsessed, she should go join the team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always said it takes a certain kind of person to be a teacher or daycare operator! You my friend do the kind of job I could not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I know what to expect when I get sent to a middle school class.

      Delete
  4. They sure do. Especially when it's not doing their work for class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But..obsessing over cheerleaders is totally normal! Isn't it? Lol, I wasn't even that bad. Not sure what Andie's deal is, but that's definitely strange.

    I'm sure you've got bad seeds who openly defy you, but Andie just seems like she's uncontrollably drawn to the cheerleaders for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather bizarre. I had all sorts of great inappropriate questions for her, but that would have just made the situation worse.

      Delete
  6. It would have never occured to us to try to get away with standing AT ALL during class unless specifically asked by the teacher to do so. My early 80s junior high school experience was so vastly different from the class with Andie you've described.

    Goodness knows where our cheerleaders were, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine, too. (Same era as you.) I think that the kids like this were segregated from us, because I don't think kids are all that different today.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad that most of us grow up. And this age will also.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe she was studying them to learn their moves?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Liz - I suppose longing to be accepted and dying to join them ... times have changed ... we definitely could disturb our lessons ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Imagine if we'd been that oppositional defiant as a kid. We would have been sent straight to the office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. But some of these kids don't scare as easily today.

      Delete
    2. Oh dear I think I was that kid.

      Delete
  11. That's about the last thing I would have cared to watch. ~grin~ I'm glad you take these kids on. They wouldn't get any education if society relied on folks like me. I see kids coming and run the other way if I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheerleaders can do some interesting routines, but cheer practice... Very tedious to watch. (I was in band. I remember band practice. Tedious.)

      Delete
  12. It's interesting how it's always the ones that the other teachers warn you about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time, the difficult students are difficult for everybody. It's a rare thing when they're only difficult for one teacher.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.